Mr. CCNA Attempt

rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
I thought initially that I would take things super slow and take the test in December but after finishing up Cisco Network Academy reading and all labs for semester 3 and 4 and having studied for the CCENT and CCNA together over the last 5-9 months, I feel comfortable enough that if I studied for another two weeks I could pass the exam.

My current study materials are:
  • Cisco Networking Academy CCNA Exploration 1-4
  • Packet Tracer 5.3
  • Binary Game on Cisco's website
  • CBT Nuggets series video by Jeremy Cioara
  • CCNA Book by Odom
For some reason, I'm terrified of this test but I know I can do well if I keep focus.

My study plan will be:
  • 1 chapter a day out of Odom and a video or two out of CBT Nuggets per day
  • Redo all the labs from CCNA Exploration 2 to the end of CCNA Exploration 4
  • Binary game everyday
  • Subnettingquestions website for 20 mins a day
I guess my question is will this be enough? The CCENT was very straightforward for me and though some Qs made me sit back and think for a little longer than normal it was definitely doable.

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck. My suggestion would be... get as much hands on as possible. The CCNA really wants to be sure you understand how to configure stuff... so use packet tracer (and if you could, look into GNS3). HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • aR15aR15 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rogue,

seems like you've got a good foundation of knowledge to prepare you in your studies for tackling the ccna (640-802) composite exam.

as a quick recommendation (and if you don't mind shelling out a few extra dollars), try to get your hands on a good router/switch simulator (i.e.: boson) so that you can get a good feel of how some of the simulations will be on the exam... trust me, there's nothing worse than getting the "oh shi.." feeling when you get hit with a sim question out of the blue, lol.

also, check around the net for some free cbtnuggets videos; the instructor that designed and instructs in these videos (jeremy ciaora) makes the learning a bit more interesting and will definitely help keep you focused vs. odom's oftentimes monotonous and 'boring' approach to the concepts and theories of routers and switches.

good luck!
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks guys for the motivation. I know the whole forum is behind me on this one :). I'm taking the ICND2-816 not the 802 haha.
  • aR15aR15 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Most definitely,

and don't forget.. during the first portion of the exam (when the tutorial is playing a.k.a. "free time"), write down a quick subnet chart for easy reference if you have trouble remembering those.

bitchart, /24 = 256 addresses (254 usable hosts), etc...

saves a LOT of seconds :D
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck Rogue2Shadow! I'm sure you'll do OK.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Also have a look on Cisco's own website. There is an exam tutorial on there that will show you the format and layout of the questions and sims.

Cisco Certification Exam Tutorial - Cisco Systems
    Thanks again for the encouragement guys. I just wanted to update this thread real quick; the exam is in less than 24 hours. I've been running through the objectives in review/lab mode for the last two weeks and I've been feeling more and more confident everyday. I think I hit the point where I can't study anymore (which is naturally a good thing at least for me). I will bring home a victory!!!
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks again for the encouragement guys. I just wanted to update this thread real quick; the exam is in less than 24 hours. I've been running through the objectives in review/lab mode for the last two weeks and I've been feeling more and more confident everyday. I think I hit the point where I can't study anymore (which is naturally a good thing at least for me). I will bring home a victory!!!

Good Luck!
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Time Management!!!! Good Luck!!!!
    Good Luck!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let us know how it goes.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    I passed!!! :)

Cisco exams for me have always been scary. I knew the ICND2 material in and out but the difficulty of the exam was formidable. Usually it would be a sim that would stop me but this time I found myself being stopped by questions that made you go "wait, it could be this or that, but theres a significant difference in the two".

I am officially Mr. CCNA and I think I need a break from certs for a while. 9-12 months non-stop has taken its toll lol.

When I resume studies, I will go for SSCP and preview CISSP material. For the meantime, I'm going to try to get afluent with everyday use of Linux distros aka LPIC-1.

Thanks for the support as always (probably the third time lol) and good night!!!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Damn man I am eating you dust right now lol!

Congrats. When are you thinking about SSCP? You know they have a new book coming out at the end of the year. Are you still down for LPIC-1 by the end of the year.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Damn man I am eating you dust right now lol!

Congrats. When are you thinking about SSCP? You know they have a new book coming out at the end of the year. Are you still down for LPIC-1 by the end of the year.

Hah, thanks man. I'll probably start studying SSCP and CISSP (SSCP first) in January and take SSCP like 6mos - 1 year later. I will most likely study CISSP for a good year and then attempt the exam a year after that for the associate designation. I want to make sure I understand each domain in its entirety. LPIC-1 I'm definitely down for studying for. I ran through the CBT Nuggets by Perry and use VMware regularly to play around with Linux but it seems the videos only touch the surface of what is needed for the exam (which is expected). I will be doing a lot of man page reading over the course of the next few months. I do not think I will actually take the exam because for the job all I really need to know how to do is use linux and linux applications but I won't be doing any major administration.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah. I think I will be studying for the SSCP in Jan as well but I may take a turn towards the CCNP or both, I don't know yet. I'd like to get both done but I am not in that big of a rush.

What happen to you doing SANS stuff?
    Congrats on the CCNA! You deserve a little break after the pace you've been setting.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif
    Hah, thanks man. I'll probably start studying SSCP and CISSP (SSCP first) in January and take SSCP like 6mos - 1 year later. CISSP, I will most likely study CISSP for a good year and then attempt the exam a year after that for the associate designation. I want to make sure I understand each domain in its entirety. LPIC-1 I'm definitely down for studying for. I ran through the CBT Nuggets by Perry and use VMware regularly to play around with Linux but it seems the videos only touch the surface of what is needed for the exam (which is expected). I will be doing a lot of man page reading over the course of the next few months. I do not think I will actually take the exam because for the job all I really need to know how to do is use linux and linux applications but I won't be doing any major administration.

To be honest the LPIC test was the hardest cert test I've taken. It could of been a lack of preparation, I don't know. But when you get fill in the blank questions on a cert test it just isn't easy. That and they expect you to know all the switches for like..mount and stuff...wtf just use the man page. Oh well....good luck!
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! With the roll you have been on I was sure you would pass! icon_thumright.gif
    knwminus wrote: »
    Ah. I think I will be studying for the SSCP in Jan as well but I may take a turn towards the CCNP or both, I don't know yet. I'd like to get both done but I am not in that big of a rush.

What happen to you doing SANS stuff?

The CEH takes care of almost all CND levels of the 8570 so for now I'm dropping them. I could attempt the GCIA or GCIH in the future but I'm not exactly sure where my path leads. You were right about my cisco path though. I could only imagine how hard the *NP route exams are.

earweed wrote: »
    Congrats on the CCNA! You deserve a little break after the pace you've been setting.

Thanks man.

Congrats!!! With the roll you have been on I was sure you would pass!

Congrats
    To be honest the LPIC test was the hardest cert test I've taken. It could of been a lack of preparation, I don't know. But when you get fill in the blank questions on a cert test it just isn't easy. That and they expect you to know all the switches for like..mount and stuff...wtf just use the man page. Oh well....good luck!

Another reason why I'm staying away from the test center for this one lol.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS on your pass... Good luck on your future studies!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • shecoolshecool Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass! When I was looking at your current certs and wishlist, I noticed we are on a similar path. Good luck with your future studies!
    Up Next: CCDA, CCDP
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed!!!
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!