Options

Using CBT's Effectively

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm currently using the Trainsignal CBT while studying for the 70-643. I was wondering what the thoughts of others was on which is most effective:
Watch the video and then do the reading or do the reading and then watch the video.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    watch the video and then do the practical :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on the subject. I usually read the book first, but the last test I was working on I had to switch it up. I was so lost in the book that I had to see it, and then the reading was easier.

Sometimes I will be about half way through the book and then start the videos. The videos are usually laid out in a different order, so it forces me to input things into longer term memory. It is easy to completely focus on one subject, and then move to the next and forget it. This just keeps me on my toes.'

But everyone has their own style and their own way to learn. Give one way a try and see what happens. For sure you want to do the reading/videos before you start labbing. Or if you lab before, you will want to lab after too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Definitely labbing after.
    It's just that some of the videos I'm watching (Trainsignal for the 70-643) leave a lot of content out as compared to the book. So far it seems that watching the videos first is best for me though. If I do the reading first I get really bored watching the videos.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I've used CBT for videos before..It worked best for me reading then cleaning up with videos.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I watch the CBTs first I get a lot more out of reading. I'm very visual so seeing the concepts in action help me reason through the theory presented in the text books.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    If I do the reading first I get really bored watching the videos.

Board watching videos is better than board reading. At least watching the videos you might daydream a little, but you are likely still going to watch them(especially since you spent a small fortune on them). Board reading (for me at least) means either not opening the book, or only getting through 5 pages at a time, which results in no learning.
  • Options
    I've decided to utilize the 90 day satisfaction guarantee for the 70-643 videos..just too much content not covered. To top it off the guy teaching it spends so much of the time repeating himself every time a difference between 2008 R2, which he's using, and 2008 exists that it's annoying.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've always watched each video at least twice. The first time is normally on the train to work, and the second is in the lab. Repeating their processes and expanding on them. When it's something I am less comfortable with I will do a "bootcamp" and watch them yet a third time right before the exam taking lot of notes that I review before walking into the exam.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Normally I read and then watch.

With the 70-291 I got lost in the book and started watching the videos. With the intention to read the book after, and then conclude with the videos again.

Well of course I ran short on time, so I was only able to rewatch a couple of them. Still passed the test though.
  • Options
    With the 70-643 video the instructor is just too incomplete with the lesson. While each lesson is over an hour long he just wastes a lot of time on trivial stuff and leaves me irritated. I've listened to a couple of the lessons of the 70-647 and those seem to be better.
    I've tried both methods video>read and read>video and have come to the conclusion that just reading and labbing for this exam will be best.