Options

CompTIA Credentials?

XentiaXentia Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there. I passed the A+ cert the other day and got an email from CompTIA recently so I can confirm my mailing address. During the registration process, one thing they ask is the permission to release my credentials to 3rd party organizations. Anyone know if this is actually worth enabling? Will I possibly see some offers with this, or will it mostly just be spam?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agreed, and as far as I know nothing has ever happened. I have never received any sort of communication from it (neither good or bad).
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't see really what CompTIA partners could really offer besides PC technology at a cheap price... Seriously, I'd treat this like anything else I sign up for, just check "no" or uncheck the box that allows them to share your information and be on your marry way. If it's something really important then I'm sure CompTIA themselves will want to offer it to you, not a third party organization. Why risk the spam when you can just avoid it, it's a simple risk vs reward issue here, I don't see exactly what kind of reward you could get by accepting third party solicitation.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Xentia wrote: »
    Hi there. I passed the A+ cert the other day and got an email from CompTIA recently so I can confirm my mailing address. During the registration process, one thing they ask is the permission to release my credentials to 3rd party organizations. Anyone know if this is actually worth enabling? Will I possibly see some offers with this, or will it mostly just be spam?

You want to release your information to 3rd parties so that you can use CompTIA's emailing system to prove to employers that you passed the test. It's up to you whether you want to receiver news letters and email promotions from them or from their partners.
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    skwira001 wrote: »
    You want to release your information to 3rd parties so that you can use CompTIA's emailing system to prove to employers that you passed the test. It's up to you whether you want to receiver news letters and email promotions from them or from their partners.
    Wouldn't the certificates/wallet cards be just as good?
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    Wouldn't the certificates/wallet cards be just as good?

Certificates are generally something to sit on your wall or in storage. I have never heard of someone dragging those around. The wallet cards would work, but is only going to really work if they call you in for an interview.

The online transcript is something that you can email out or bring to your interview, and it is always up to date. That being said, I have never been asked to prove any certification. So maybe it is something that you don't need to bother with.
    Decide what to be and go be it.