Options

Server Hardware?

stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
My company decided to partner with IBM, does anyone still buy IBM servers? Years in this industry and everything has been Compaq/HP and Dell, don't think I have even seen an IBM server in real life.

What server hardware do you work with?

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Exclusively Dell. I've never worked in a shop that hasn't been Dell. We had considered switching to HP for a bit, due to our trouble with Dell sales reps, but didn't go for it.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Of course, I used to build IBM servers only a few years ago for corporate clients.

My current job is the first time I've seen anyone use Dell servers.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    IBM and HP only. We've got racks of IBM gear like iSeries, pSeries and xSeries servers along with some nSeries storage appliances. The HP gear is all Proliant x86 servers.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    We used to run on IBM in the past, but we are mostly Dell shop now. Reason for switching being IBMs cost 35-50% more than comparable system from Dell.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Almost all Dell in the places I've been in with a bit of HP and a smattering of white boxes.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    Almost all Dell in the places I've been in with a bit of HP and a smattering of white boxes.
    I know you mean something else when you say "white box" but if you don't want your entire rack to consist of black boxes with a couple blinky lights then don't buy IBM :D
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    WOW some mixed responses but obvious that my "IBM is dead" grossly over exaggerates the situation icon_wink.gif

Anymore for anymore?
  • Options
    stupidboy wrote: »
    WOW some mixed responses but obvious that my "IBM is dead" grossly over exaggerates the situation icon_wink.gif
    I assume that you're not in the financial world where IBM has a large presence. OS/400 and AIX will require you to be running IBM hardware.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    IBM, HP, and Dell. A few of everything somehow. Mostly HP.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know some admins that work in the data center for Kroger, a very large business local to my area, and they seem to use IBM exclusively.