74% of work PCs still run XP

BocaRatonITBocaRatonIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Microsoft says 74 percent of work PCs still use Windows XP, extends downgrade rights until 2020

for anyone that missed this info,

When people start to upgrade I will be glad to have the 70-680 and 70-685 exams done.

Comments

• Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    680 should be the big one you'll be glad to have, imagine the deployment work opportunities there are going to be as the mainstream business world starts to want to do big time deployments.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In the article they've crossed out the lifespan "through 2020" bit.

So is it extended another 10 years or not?
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    No surprise really, XP still kicks arse and so does server 2003.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At the very least MS has announced that XP support will be extended through 2014 so you've got another four years there, that's still a lot longer than Vista (Vista support has actually ended the last I heard), lol.

Windows 7 will get it's fair share of deployments as Server 2008 R2 makes it's way into the corporate world. Right now as it sits most companies are still using 2003 server, so why upgrade their PC's to 7 if XP works just as fine? When they get around to upgrading to 2008 servers you'll see a lot more deployments of 7 within that environment to utilize the Direct Access and BranceCache features among other things.

If you're getting your Windows 7 certs, this is definitely a great time to go for them. I actually got a call this morning from a staffing company that's looking to staff a Windows 7 deployment position at a major Diesel company in the area, so I'm looking forward to hearing back on whether they want to bring me in for an interview at the company or not.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588

Windows 7 will get it's fair share of deployments as Server 2008 R2 makes it's way into the corporate world. Right now as it sits most companies are still using 2003 server, so why upgrade their PC's to 7 if XP works just as fine? When they get around to upgrading to 2008 servers you'll see a lot more deployments of 7 within that environment to utilize the Direct Access and BranceCache features among other things.

If you're getting your Windows 7 certs, this is definitely a great time to go for them. I actually got a call this morning from a staffing company that's looking to staff a Windows 7 deployment position at a major Diesel company in the area, so I'm looking forward to hearing back on whether they want to bring me in for an interview at the company or not.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Even though Windows XP is a great operating system, the additional features when pairing Windows 7 with Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2 make it appealing for many new companies to upgrade. For example, with security becoming more and more important, another feature that will be valued today by many companies is BitLocker and BitLocker To Go.

The transition to Windows 7 won't be immediate, but they are starting to take off.

Hope they call, and you nail the interview!

Darril Gibson
    Author: MCITP Guide to Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administration (Exam # 70-647)
    ISBN-10: 1423902394