Lab suggestions

prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
Im not sure if this is in the right place, but basically im looking for suggestions on setting up a lab with what i have. Any suggestions I would really appreciate.

I have the basic "ciscokits" ccna lab wich is:
2 2501 cisco routers 8MB DRAM/8MB flash with transceivers
1 2924 switch
connected to the routers and switch I have an old e-machines desktop running windows 2003 server. I also have two laptops i plan to use as part of this lab. the e-machines is to old to run any kind of virtualization, so plan to just use what I have. I do have a Dell desktop that can handle virtualization but its separate from this lab, and everone in the house uses that comp.
My goal is a lab to study for MCSA and CCENT.
I just recieved the routers and switch and i dont have anything configured yet.
Just curious how you guys would setup a lab with the minimal equipment described.
Thanks and sorry if I dragged out a simple question.

Comments

• wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    The routers you've got should be ok for CCENT, but you will need to have at least 16MB of memory and flash to use the latest version of IP Plus for this router.

As for the switch, I have to confess that I don't really know anything about this one. I think you really need to get your hands on a 2950 or 2960.

If you want to go on and go for ICND2 then you'll need another router or two also, and another couple of switches. Have a look around this forum, there are heaps of threads on setting up a lab. Also, check out the link below.

Cisco Lab CCNA CCNP Exam Prep Router Switch Configuration
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suggest at least one additional 2600 router with a FastEthernet Port to practice Router-on-a-Stick configurations. Also, for the switches, you'll want at least 2950s to practice some of the spanning-tree, VTP, etc... The 2924s are lacking a lot of features that you'll soon realize once you begin your studies. Any way you choose, I wish you the best!!! Good luck!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great suggestions as always guy's. Thank's for the imput. I'll look into the equipment mentioned. Im also finding studying for ccent is much more fun than studying for mcsa, atleast so far. Thank's again.