Options

Help with RAID 1 Please

han.nethan.net Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there ,

I m not sure if this the right plce to put my enquiry, I have a pc with RAID 1 runing windows 7 and XP on 2 partitions . I messed up with one of them by repartitioning the one of hard drive and need to know to replae or recover that hard drive please .

Regards

Comments

• Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    han.net wrote: »
    Hi there ,

I m not sure if this the right plce to put my enquiry, I have a pc with RAID 1 runing windows 7 and XP on 2 partitions . I messed up with one of them by repartitioning the one of hard drive and need to know to replae or recover that hard drive please .

Regards

Using hardware or software raid? how exactly did you repartition?
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    gateway wrote: »
    Using hardware or software raid? how exactly did you repartition?

Hi there,

I am using hardware RAID build in with the motherboard ( BIostar )

Thanks
  • Options
    ok, but how did you re partition? did you remove one hard drive from the machine and repartition it leaving one still in the machine and functional?

Don't forget, raid 1 is a mirror so whatever you do to the system gets duplicated across both hdd's.

I need to know exactly how you repartitioned one drive.
  • Options
    ok, but how did you re partition? did you remove one hard drive from the machine and repartition it leaving one still in the machine and functional?

Don't forget, raid 1 is a mirror so whatever you do to the system gets duplicated across both hdd's.

I need to know exactly how you repartitioned one drive.

Ok ,I did partitioned on of them only based on the faxct that RAID 1 dublicate the thing , but that render in having the system not bootable .

I used a software called EASUES and from that softward I createdc a bootable CD whuich I uesed to boot the machine that its got RAISD 1 on . I booted that machine from that CD and I got that software not recognizing the 2 HDD as RAID , instead its just got them as 2 seprate HDD . So I though if I m using RAID mirroring then I can just partition one of them and RAID will doblicate that .
    The system had 2 operating system , XP and 7 64bit and the idea was to add another 2 partitiones one is for windows 7 32 bit and the third should be largest one for data only .

Regards
  • Options
    Right, so if it's just a data recovery exercise now then you should be able to go into the raid bios on bootup and rebuild the raid mirror.

You may even be able to take the existing hdd out of the pc and plug it into another machine or an external hdd caddy to retrieve data since you have not amended any partition data on that one.

The ways of doing things now varies on the options the onbaord raid gives you.

What are you trying to achieve? Are you bothered about the xp and win 7 os's on this pc or can you just rebuild the raid and reinstall? You will need to do this anyway if you still want to amend/add partitions.
  • Options
    Right, so if it's just a data recovery exercise now then you should be able to go into the raid bios on bootup and rebuild the raid mirror.

You may even be able to take the existing hdd out of the pc and plug it into another machine or an external hdd caddy to retrieve data since you have not amended any partition data on that one.

The ways of doing things now varies on the options the onbaord raid gives you.

What are you trying to achieve? Are you bothered about the xp and win 7 os's on this pc or can you just rebuild the raid and reinstall? You will need to do this anyway if you still want to amend/add partitions.

ok ,, I ve got on the hard drives now working fine , as I unpluged one of them . How can recover the system with second drive without losing my data on my working hdd ?
  • Options
    ok ,, I ve got on the hard drives now working fine , as I unpluged one of them . How can recover the system with second drive without losing my data on my working hdd ?

What do you mean? Which hard drive have you got working, and which one did you unplug?

If you have left the working hdd in your pc with xp and 7 on, plug in the other one too and power on the machine. You will need to enter the raid bios, how you get there will depend on the motherboard vendor. When you enter this, you should firstly attempt to view the current config it has detected. Hopefully you will see a failed raid 1 mirror and there might be an option to rebuild. Again, this is dependant on mainboard vendor. Once you have recovered your data, you should format the drives, re-create the raid, and then re-partition them to fit your new requirements.

Before you do this though, I would recommend that you consult your mainboard instruction manual to confirm. It may be that you will need to create a matching partition on the drive before you plug it back in.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

If you have one drive working, you should be able to replace the non-working drive and rebuild the array. Once the array has been rebuilt, the mirrored data on the working drive will be copied over to the new drive. You might have to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager to rebuild the array. Good luck.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    If you have one drive working, you should be able to replace the non-working drive and rebuild the array. Once the array has been rebuilt, the mirrored data on the working drive will be copied over to the new drive. You might have to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager to rebuild the array. Good luck.
    Many thanks Guys for the information and the help , I got it all working fine now !

Regards