Options

DId 4.2.2.2 just take a hit ?

LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anybody use that interface to monitor their connections ? I believe 4.2.2.2 may have been down while I was out. I have a script to ping that IP to check for connectivity and it that fails my server thinks its down, but other applications on it never lost connectivity.

It would the first time in my life I see that IP down but nothing is impossible. Anybody else with something similar?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The NANOG mailing list is the best resource for things like this: NANOG: NANOG Mailing Lists

There could have been intermediate problems that affected your pings as well. Maybe you just got blacklisted ;)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    4.2.2.2 is part of Level3 and not a public server. Its one of their secondary DNS caching servers. You're not supposed to be pinging it or using it unless you're connected to their network. Just because you can ping it and have done so for years doesn't mean you should be doing it though.

It'd be like me pinging your firewall as a test to see if my connection is up. You may not mind it but you've got no obligation to keep it up. That said, the practice of pinging 4.2.2.2 seems to be extremely widespread so the traffic that is going into Level3 because of that must be fairly significant.

If you want something to ping then try the Google public DNS service at 8.8.8.8 since that is designed for public usage.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    4.2.2.2 is part of Level3 and not a public server. Its one of their secondary DNS caching servers. You're not supposed to be pinging it or using it unless you're connected to their network. Just because you can ping it and have done so for years doesn't mean you should be doing it though.

It'd be like me pinging your firewall as a test to see if my connection is up. You may not mind it but you've got no obligation to keep it up. That said, the practice of pinging 4.2.2.2 seems to be extremely widespread so the traffic that is going into Level3 because of that must be fairly significant.

If you want something to ping then try the Google public DNS service at 8.8.8.8 since that is designed for public usage.

I just read about that the other day.

4.2.2.2: The Story Behind a DNS Legend
  • Options
    Yeah I know I shouldnt be, but I assumed one single server shouldn't cause it that much problems, it's not a work enviorment, just a personal test thing.It's use is pretty widespread, I would think Level3 is aware of it and doesn't mind it, otherwise they'd be doing something about it. But those are just my assumptions, incorrect, or lazy, as they may be, hehe.

I was just curious, first time ever I saw that. I didnt even remember about 8.8.8.8, thanks for it. I'll be using that from now on.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Lizano wrote: »
    I assumed one single server shouldn't cause it that much problems
    Its not just you doing it though :P
    It's use is pretty widespread
    See above.
    I would think Level3 is aware of it and doesn't mind it, otherwise they'd be doing something about it.
    There may be legacy reasons as to why they can't reconfigure it to block external requests. phoeneous' link mentions they're trying to discourage people from using it.
    I was just curious, first time ever I saw that. I didnt even remember about 8.8.8.8, thanks for it. I'll be using that from now on.
    Ask your ISP if they have something that you can ping as well so you'll be able to see if its an ISP issue or an issue with your connection to the ISP.
  • Options
    I should be pinging my ISPs gateway and their DNS server...I was just too lazy to look for those when I was writing that cheap script hehe. I know shame on me, but as that guy on the link, the IP was hard coded into my head (excuses excuses hehe ). I will start getting it out, I've always thought it's only a matter of time before they block the public of it.

That story about Charter saying it was thier own DNS was kind of funny haha.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I just read about that the other day.

4.2.2.2: The Story Behind a DNS Legend

Thanks, that was an enjoyable read :)