Options

Recommend what i should do!

GunnertwinGunnertwin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings TechExams forum, i'm 19 and i'm from London. I just need some recommendations on which certifications i should go for next.

Well, i've just recently jumped into the world of IT icon_lol.gif so i'm not quite familiar with all the certifications.

I've started off by passing the A+ and MCDST so i'm looking to get into a 1st line support role. I just want to know what you think i should go for next to improve my career prospects.

A reply will be greatly appreciated! icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think the Americans here will advise to follow your A+ with the Network+ cert.

Networking and servers are the logical steps after learning PC theory.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE!
    Nice to see some more people from across the pond joining us. You seem to have a nice start at the certs you need for entry level IT work. Mikedisd2 is right that most of us would probably recommend the Net+ and then the Sec+. It actually depends on what you want to do after you get started in the field. Get some experience and decide what it is you want to do.
    Do you want to be in the network side or the server/admin side?
    Though the Net+ and Sec+ would be good certs to grab it's more important that you just study the material for them for the knowledge. Those 2 certs aren't really that necessary unless you work somewhere that requires them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There really is no set step to follow next, it all comes down to your eventual career path. With the A+ and MCDST you should be good for any entry level help desk position in your local area. Just send out resumes/cover letters and see what comes your way and continue your education along the way.

As far as potential next steps, if you want the big bucks then you'll want to get into a Network administrator or high end server administrator position. That'll mean following up with the Network+ and maybe some MS server certs (2003 or 2008, pick your poison). Me personally I'm on a pre-set plan that my school uses for all of their grads but it's actually a pretty stable one. I had initially questioned why I was taking the 680 instead of the 682 bridge exam to MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support but then I noticed that the MCITP: EA requires the 680 as one of the elective tests so there was a method to the madness there and even though the school isn't covering the last two MCITP: EA exams I'd need to take, I know of them and will persue them next year after I'm out of school.

If you think ahead and plan on what you want to do then you'll find the answers on what you should do yourself. Just research positions and certs that will help you get those positions and you'll be fine, we all have to start somewhere and would you believe that just three months ago I was working at a Blockbuster Video with absolutely no idea of what IT certs I could get and where I could end up going in life? In my case it was taking a long time hobby and turning it into a career though, hopefully it's the same for you.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    GunnertwinGunnertwin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your replies, i have decided to do the N+ and then i'll go for the S+, but i am unsure as to which path i should take. I guess i should just get some experience first and then i'll make up my mind.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security + is always a good one. Even on intermediate level jobs Security + looks good.