Options

Got a single day project position!

Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
For those of you who haven't known, times have been tough on me since I decided to turn my hobby into a career and I've been unemployed with literally no income and a wife and two kids to take care of. Well, that turned around slightly today as I landed my first real IT "job" through a staffing company looking for folks to help with a bank decommission.

The job is only on this coming Tuesday, but it's a start and gives me something to draw experience from that's not freelance work over the past 10 years. I'm still up for the running for a six months contract position through another staffing company, so let's hope all works well at the same time.
-Michael Palmer
WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! We all have to start somewhere. The first job is always the hardest.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz.

I hope things continue to look up for you
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    congrats, keep it up
  • Options
    also is it every tuesday for how long or is it just 1 day good experience.
  • Options
    It's the one day and that's it, not a great start but it's better than sitting at home twiddling my thumbs on Tuesday, at least I can earn enough money to pay half of the electric bill this month if anything without the need to dig into the credit cards any deeper.

But like I said in another thread, I've got another staffing company looking to staff a six month contract position and it looks like I'm in the running for that, just waiting for the call for an interview to be set up (it's only been two days so not like I'm fretting it, I did get word that they've moved me to the short list which means the client company is showing interest in me). Hopefully that'll pan out next week and I'll have another job to start within a week or two.
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • Options
    good, things are looking good for you now
  • Options
    Just wanted to give an update for this. Well, I'm back from the one-day job and everything went great. It actually wasn't a bank decommission but a PC deployment within a bank training center. Basically I deployed 15 new PC's in one of the training rooms and made sure all of the banks periphials and software worked properly on them, the full-time tech I was working with actually was impressed with me to the point that he offered me a spot on his crew doing a bunch of retail bank opening projects he's got lined up in a month or two. The only problem is that these jobs are out of state and my wife wouldn't dare let me take them as it'd mean she'd be alone with our 1 year old and new born, but it was still cool he offered.

I actually have another project date next week at the same location to come in and install some card readers that weren't there today with the shipment of everything else. I'll be by myself on that gig so that's really cool, waiting for a call from the project manager to let me know what day I should be there for that. It won't be as time consuming as today was (maybe 3 hours tops if you include the Operation Consultants at the bank have to test everything after I do) but it's still another step towards something, icon_razz.gif.

I'm excited about this, at the very least I've got another contact who can vouch for my tech skills.
    -Michael Palmer
  • Options
    Congrats !!! Looks like your hard work is finally paying off.