Options

Darril Gibson new Win 7 70-685 and 686 book

kaigeikaigei Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just got Darril Gibsons new book Windows 7 Desktop Support and administration in from Amazon. Covers the 70-685 and 686 exam, by what I have read so far looks like it will be a great book. Comes with CD

Amazon.com: Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams…

Also looks like they released it early Amazon has its release date at July 20th
Certifications that I am working on
Project+
70-680
70-685

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's included on the CD?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    kaigeikaigei Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The CD has Electronic flash cards, PDF version of the book, Video demonstrations, Sybex 685/686 exam prep.
    Certifications that I am working on
    Project+
    70-680
    70-685
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    kaigei wrote: »
    Just got Darril Gibsons new book Windows 7 Desktop Support and administration in from Amazon. Covers the 70-685 and 686 exam, by what I have read so far looks like it will be a great book. Comes with CD

Amazon.com: Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams…

Also looks like they released it early Amazon has its release date at July 20th

Hope you enjoy it. Sybex already had a 70-680 book out, otherwise I would have made this book cover all three exams. Instead, this book jumps right into the deeper topics.

Hopefully, I won’t need to for a while now, but I’ll post an errata page on mcitpsuccess.com if any errors pop up.

Good luck with your studies.

Darril Gibson
    Author: MCITP Guide to Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administration (Exam # 70-647)
    ISBN-10: 1423902394
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril's last book helped me pass my security+ I can't wait to pick this up for these tests. I look forward to reading his writing again. He made the SY0-201 a lot less difficult to get through..

KM
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680
  • Options
    BasilFBasilF Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent I just ordered a copy since there were only 3 left. Great to have a book that covers both exams and although I got through the 70-680 exam with the MS press - parts of it weren't great.

Want to take the 70-686 next - once I've got 70-643 Server 2008 exam out of the way. Be good to be able to get 70-685 too though.
  • Options
    BasilF wrote: »
    Excellent I just ordered a copy since there were only 3 left. Great to have a book that covers both exams and although I got through the 70-680 exam with the MS press - parts of it weren't great.

Want to take the 70-686 next - once I've got 70-643 Server 2008 exam out of the way. Be good to be able to get 70-685 too though.
    I've heard the 70-643 is really tough. That's what I'm studying for currently. IIS looks like it may be my Achilles heel.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    BasilFBasilF Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not finding it too bad so far but then I'm only up to chapter 4! DRM is surely going to be the dullest topic.

The quality of the MS press for this one seems way better than for the 70-680 though.
  • Options
    KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BasilF wrote: »
    I'm not finding it too bad so far but then I'm only up to chapter 4! DRM is surely going to be the dullest topic.

The quality of the MS press for this one seems way better than for the 70-680 though.

yes it looks like I have to get another book for my 70-680 not enough with just sybex.

KM
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680
  • Options
    Killermac wrote: »
    yes it looks like I have to get another book for my 70-680 not enough with just sybex.

KM

I have heard that Sybex book for the 70-680 was worst than the MS Press. I was shocked since the MS Press book itself is horrible icon_tongue.gif
  • Options
    I heard the sybex just doesn't go deep enough
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never been in impressed with Sybex anything. I failed project + after going through their book religously and their flash cards. I also thought the security plus book was a little light.
  • Options
    flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would of liked to have had this book when I passed the 70-686 in March 2010, and became a "Charter Member" :)
    Next up: OSCP
  • Options
    Anyone read the book yet? I need to get around to it...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I am sure Darril's book is good (I was pleased to see he is one of the co-authors on Minasi's Mastering Server 2008 R2 book), but have you considered just getting the Windows 7 Resource Kit instead of buying multiple books for all these exams? Follow up the reading with some Technet Virtual Labs and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    might pick this one up when I pass my sec plus I will get myself this one as a present to self
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy it. Sybex already had a 70-680 book out, otherwise I would have made this book cover all three exams. Instead, this book jumps right into the deeper topics.

Hopefully, I won’t need to for a while now, but I’ll post an errata page on mcitpsuccess.com if any errors pop up.

Good luck with your studies.

Darril Gibson
    Author: MCITP Guide to Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administration (Exam # 70-647)
    ISBN-10: 1423902394

Sorry to bump an old thread, but was an Errata ever released for this book? A search of google (and a glance at that website) turned up nothing.

Thanks
    Decide what to be and go be it.