Options

Need advice getting into IT Field

ITnoobiITnoobi Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey I've been lurking here for a few weeks and reading quite a bit but I need some advice on my specific situation.

I am currently a 27 yrs old and a civil engineer making about $60K per year doing design and project management. I have decided that IT is what I really want to do but don't know what would be the best place to start. Last year I got some books, set up some computers and virtual machines in a home network for a test lab, and studied and took the exams for my MCSE 2003. I realize that I can get certs all day but really just need to get my foot in the door somewhere and start getting some real experience. I know that I will most likely need to take a pay cut to get started but probably couldn't handle less than $15/hr.

So what do I do next? What kind of job can I get without any real job experience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcometo the forums!
    You'd be looking at a huge paycut to start out at the bottom like that. Depending upon your area you may be lucky to get 15/hr starting out. Having a degree, even non-IT, will help though.It's pretty obvious that if you were able to set up a home lab and get your MCSE you could at least handle Desktop support. Try job hunting for Helpdesk and Desktop Support jobs, but keep your current job,
    If where you work has an IT department try getting to know the people there. The real world exposure you could gain by talking to them may help steer you in a direction you'll be happy with.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ITnoobi wrote: »
    Hey I've been lurking here for a few weeks and reading quite a bit but I need some advice on my specific situation.

I am currently a 27 yrs old and a civil engineer making about $60K per year doing design and project management. I have decided that IT is what I really want to do but don't know what would be the best place to start. Last year I got some books, set up some computers and virtual machines in a home network for a test lab, and studied and took the exams for my MCSE 2003. I realize that I can get certs all day but really just need to get my foot in the door somewhere and start getting some real experience. I know that I will most likely need to take a pay cut to get started but probably couldn't handle less than $15/hr.

So what do I do next? What kind of job can I get without any real job experience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wow.

Go from making 60,000 to 25,000.

And you are right certs aren't much without experience.

Maybe get into a hybrid position in manufacturing or something engineering/IT would be your best bet. No way I would start on a help desk after making 60+
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    earweed wrote: »
    If where you work has an IT department try getting to know the people there. The real world exposure you could gain by talking to them may help steer you in a direction you'll be happy with.

+1

I'd say try and get a position in the IT department where you currently work after you get in good with the people. That might also be your best bet for the least amount of cut in pay.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    That kind of paycut would be hard. Have you considered repairing PCs on the side? Maybe do that for a few years and get some certs. That is the route I took in the early nineties. At the time I was an electronics tech and started moonlighting fixing PC issues. Later I started my own PC business before choosing to work for someone else. Sometimes you have to create your own opportunities.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I were you, I'd start applying for government jobs at USAjobs.gov (I.T. is 2210 series). Your engineering degree (I'm assuming bachelors) can be used in lieu of experience for a job at the GS-5 grade in an IT position. If you have 1 year of graduate education or had 'superior academic achievement', that can used in lieu of the experience required to qualify for GS-7. If you could get on as a GS-7, you won't be taking that much of a salary hit. With your experience (albeit not IT) and your certs, it may be worth a shot. The downside is that it could take months (perhaps years) of applying before getting a job with the gov.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • Options
    ITnoobiITnoobi Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate all the advice so far. My company doesn't really have an IT department. I do some stuff around the office (installing apps, etc) but most computer issues are handled by a consultant. I've tried to suggest doing more things in-house but I always get the response that most of that stuff isn't worth our time to worry about. That makes more and more sense as I take on more project management duties. But from the sound of things, running our small network would probably give me at least as much experience as an entry level desktop support position.

I was hoping to make a new start and get an entry level system administrator position. I do like the idea of a government job and it seems like that sector is growing now. I'll check into it.

Would it be completely worthless for me to start sending out resumes for system administrator positions? Are there ever any part-time or weekend jobs available for helpdesk, at say a hospital maybe?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If you really want to start in the IT field I recommend delaying a bit and taking classes part time while you are still a civil engineer. You can focus on certs or try to get a BS in IT or networking. Otherwise your going to find it very tough to get even an entry level job. With your background in a technical science, I think you are very well set up to enter a junior admin position only after you have a combination of certs and a new degree which will compensate for your lack of experience.