Options

Question for Cisco dudes here.

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I am sure that you guys don't make network everyday.

So what do you do at your work as a network admin?

Also, can you share some problem you had at your work (it doesn't have to be related to Cisco), and the solution you made for it?

How do you fix a vpn connectivity or other vpn problem you have encounter as an IT guy?

I'm asking this question so that I can learn something, in case that I get in the same situation.

Have you read this article All System Down?
What exactly they mean by STP 7-hop limitation? I don't remember reading about that in Lammle's book.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    I am sure that you guys don't make network everyday.

Huh? Some guys do, some guys dont.
    So what do you do at your work as a network admin?

Everything. I'm a lone wolf.
    How do you fix a vpn connectivity or other vpn problem you have encounter as an IT guy?

Depends on the problem.
    What exactly they mean by STP 7-hop limitation? I don't remember reading about that in Lammle's book.

I don't remember the exact details but think of the time it takes for stp to detect and converge on a topology change. If you go too far out (7 hops), by the time the bpdu reaches the intended destination the topology change might have changed again. That's why RSTP is so much cooler, because it converges faster.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Radia Perlman (creator of STP) mentioned in a video she did about TRILL that the seven hop limit was just an arbitrary number she came up with, it wasn't a hard limit.

BTW, that video is pretty interesting, particularly if you want to be depressed that IP and the current state of Ethernet are awful.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The default timers in STP affect the potential "diameter" of the switched network. I remember that being part of the Cisco CCNA Network Academy curriculum when I went through it, though it was mentioned more for avoiding real life problems, rather than as material needed to pass the CCNA exam.

It should be mentioned again somewhere in the CCNP's BCMSN/SWITCH when you study STP Tuning and/or STP Troubleshooting -- though if you don't read the suggested references there you probably won't understand why it's an issue.

Someone who just focus their Cisco Networking studies on what they need to pass the exams usually misses this.

Even Odom's CCNA book suggests
    If you plan to work on a production campus LAN network, you should probably learn more about STP features than is covered in this book. To do so, go to the Cisco software configuration guide for 2960 switches and look at the chapters on STP, RSTP, and optional STP features. The introduction to this book lists information about how to find Cisco documentation.

There is a big difference between just learning enough to pass the certification exams versus learning enough to actually work in the networking field.

Understanding and Tuning Spanning Tree Protocol Timers - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!