Options

Windows 7 desktop

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Has anyone else noticed that if you save something to your desktop it doesn't show up right away? This drove me crazy for awhile, I would have to open the command prompt and copy it to a subfolder or something.

Today I got the idea to try F5 for refresh and that works and makes it show up. I often temporarily save documents to my desktop and then file them away later. I discovered this when saving some important documents and then I couldn't find it after I had already closed it.

Don't know when it refreshes by default or if every program does this. For sure notepad does, and I think it did it to me with word buy I'm not positive on that one.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    showstoppermdshowstoppermd Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Maybe something to do with your video driver settings. My windows 7 has no delay on saving on the desktop.
  • Options
    Just tested on my girlfriends laptop. She has home edition and it showed up. I have Professional.

Or maybe it is because I have 106 icons on my desktop? It is about time for a cleanup.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Windows 7 doesn't have any delay at all when it comes to save, no more than recent previous versions anyways, it should immediately show up there as soon as the file is completely saved, simple as that.

I'd troubleshoot into it further as it sounds to be something else entirely.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I've never noticed it before I tried it with notepad and it doesn't happen to me. It does seem to happen to lots of other people in various ways. saved documents not showing up on desktop without refresh win 7 - Google Search

check the first few links from the search. Seems it's a known issue without a definite fix but there are quite a few things you can try.
  • Options
    Think it has anything to do with a SSD?
  • Options
    Certainly not because of the number of icons. I moved them all into a folder with no change.

Edit: After restart it instantly appears. Either it needed a restart all along, or it needed this plus the icon number reduction. I'll keep my eye on it and let you know if it ever starts happening again.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Devilsbane wrote: »

It's possible but I don't think so. I only skimmed those threads but the issue appears to happen to people with and without a solid state drive.
  • Options
    ayoriayori Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□

I'm using ssd and all seem to be fine. Have you tested it on a vm?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Or maybe it is because I have 106 icons on my desktop? It is about time for a cleanup.

106 icons? You should take a look at Fences by Stardock to help you keep that all organized.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    106 icons? You should take a look at Fences by Stardock to help you keep that all organized.

I really don't need any of them, maybe 2 or 3. I just get in the habbit of saving stuff to my desktop where I can easily get back to it. Then after it starts to get cluttered I start sticking them where they should be. 50 of them were assignments that I stuck on there 3 months ago and just haven't needed to move.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Having that many icons was probably your problem. I have about 20 and it slows down a new icon appearing. I do like you do with saving things to my desktop but do periodic cleaning .
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just tested on my girlfriends laptop. She has home edition and it showed up. I have Professional.

106 icons???? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    106 icons???? icon_lol.gif

My work desktop currently has 34. 5 of them are my filing folders. They are split between 2 screens and I clean them up when I get to the 40-50 mark or whenever I have some downtime and get bored at which point I'll be down to 10 or so.