CCNA advice for Cisco newbie? :D

Sub ZeroSub Zero Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm planning on working towards getting the CCNA but I'm new to all things Cisco and have a few questions! icon_lol.gif

On this Cisco page:

CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

...it looks like there are 2 ways to get the CCNA...

640-802 CCNA

or

640-822 ICND1 + 640-816 ICND2

What are the differences between these 2 approaches, and which books do you guys recommend?

Thanks icon_lol.gif

Comments

• billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    First and foremost, welcome to the TE Forums icon_thumright.gif

Secondly, yes there are two ways to go after the CCNA. The two options are:

1. Two exam route
    2. One exam route

The difference is pretty much simple, when you take the 1st option two exam route, you study ICND1 and then test, this will give you the CCENT certification. After this, you will study ICND2 and take the exam, and when you pass you get the full CCNA certification. The one exam route, you would need to study ICND1 + ICND2 and take the single 640-802 exam, if you pass, you get the CCNA certification. There isn't one option that is really better than the other, it is all based on personal preference. I know many individual I have seen here have done the two test route, and many that have done the one test route. I personally did the one test route when I was preparing for my CCNA. The only difference is you have to study twice the material before taking an exam.

Also, if you do the two test route, each exam is $125 (X2) = $250 total. The one test option is $250. So the price is the same either way.

As far as materials, the best recommended book that I can think of is the Cisco Exam Certification Library by Wendell Odom. You can grab it off amazon for around $38, I believe. The Exam Cert library has everything you need to pass the CCNA, Wendell Odom does the best job making sure you get all the information to understand the material and prepare for the exam. If you are into video training, I would recommend either Train Signal or CBT Nuggets CCNA videos to go along with the CCNA Exam Certification Library. Do not use the videos as your only source of studying. When I was preparing I did the videos and then read that section in the book to fill in the gaps of what the videos missed or didn't cover. I hope this helps and good luck on your studies!!! :D
  • Sub ZeroSub Zero Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice!

I just ordered the book you mentioned- looking forward to learning the material.

I'll be going the 2 exam route as I like the idea of a more modular approach. Divide and conquer I say! icon_lol.gif