Options

Ritilin as a "Study Aid"

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
Using ADHD type drugs to help concentrate on studies.

I find this bizarre but apparanty, is becoming more and more common.

Reuters Link
Cognition-enhancing drugs common among academics | Reuters
Kam.

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    It's certainly nothing new and not that surprising. Most of these drugs are either just amphetamines or have similar stimulant effects. It does seem to be more popular with high school and college age kids these days.

IMHO many of these drugs are already over-prescribed and then you have the students using them that don't have a legitimate prescription.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    IMHO many of these drugs are already over-prescribed and then you have the students using them that don't have a legitimate prescription.

Drugs are the solution for everything these days. Cheaper and easier.

I don't use any drugs as study aids, but I usually have some caffeine before the test to give me a little bounce. Whether it does anything or not I don't really know. Caffeine never really did stimulate me too much. I could drink a couple mountain dews and still have little or no trouble going to bed. But when I'll be sitting through a 2-3 hour test, I'll take all the help I can get.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You amateurs. I use crack.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    dynamik wrote: »

Nah. Speed is where it's at. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yea I couldn't do that mess or any drugs just to help me with studying. Thats what energy drinks are for :P

This reminds me of a video that I've seen. May offend some!!

NEUROTICALLY YOURS CARTOON: DRUGS IN YOUR HEAD
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phantasm wrote: »
    Nah. Speed is where it's at. lol.

Meth is better, for sure.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Well not all of us can be as good as dynamik
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, i know quite a few folk at uni who use these types of drugs to concentrate, but apparently if you concentrate on the wrong thing you can be going at it for hours....roll in the **** sites :D

a friend told me this has been rife in american uni's for some time but i dont know how true that is...im referring to the study enhancing drugs and not the w*nking to p*rn...thats just rife everywhere :D haha
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll stick with eating an entire bag of chocolate covered espresso beans. Actually no, that was pretty scary.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Using ADHD type drugs to help concentrate on studies.

I find this bizarre but apparanty, is becoming more and more common.

Reuters Link
    Cognition-enhancing drugs common among academics | Reuters

People got good grades without all this stuff back in the day.

I blame food companies, detergent companies and drug companies for all these syndromes people are suffering in this modern age. A constant stream of chemicals inflicted on the populous since WWII for profit.

It seems lots of people have diagnosed problems these days. But I think most of it is hype to sell pills. Many people taking drugs would do better without them.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Turgon wrote: »
    People got good grades without all this stuff back in the day.

I blame food companies, detergent companies and drug companies for all these syndromes people are suffering in this modern age. A constant stream of chemicals inflicted on the populous since WWII for profit.

It seems lots of people have diagnosed problems these days. But I think most of it is hype to sell pills. Many people taking drugs would do better without them.

Its amazing what a little exercise and good nutrition will do to a person, with physical health and mental health. I agree 100% Turgon!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well it's not like medical professionals get rewards for over prescribing drugs....no, wait, actually they do.
    Q.E.D. :)

I agree, we're all getting way too quick to jump on the pill bandwagon. It seems that once any type of affect or syndrome has a medical definition it becomes okay to either use it as an excuse or to buy more chemicals. An awful lot of ills can be handled with a lifestyle change, or in cases like ADD mental training towards stronger discipline and focus rather than a pill that just kills enough of your mental capacity to keep things quiet in the old head.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Something that hasn't been mentioned in either this thread or the ADD thread that I think warrants a mention is state-dependent learning and memory. This is something that should be researched and considered along with the abuse and addiction dangers of many of these medications.

In today's over-diagnosed, over-medicated, and over-prescribed society I believe one should definitely research and consider carefully all aspects of any medication or drug. Also, obviously as mentioned already one should consider the alternatives to medicating. Though in many ways still primitive today our understanding of addiction and pharmacology is so much greater than when so many housewives were getting addicted to ****** in the 50's or when laudanum or Cocaine elixirs were popular for headaches. People should take advantage of the copious amounts of information out there before deciding to take something. Just because a medication is taken for positive purposes and taken as prescribed doesn't mean there are not dangers some serious some mere annoyances.

Now I am not hard-core anti-drug but there is much to consider when taking something and if you are here you are probably learning and you are probably in a job or looking for a job that could be greatly influenced by state-dependent recall and learning.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264

You're missing out. Give meth a try.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    You're missing out. Give meth a try.

Desoxyn... prescription meth :D

Didn't work for my ADD though, finally went with just generic Adderall though I don't always take it since I try to control things the best I can.

Abuse of stimulants is certainly an issue though, it's because of people like that whom make med's for people who really might benefit from them a schedule II drug and all of the restrictions that go along with it.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shednik wrote: »
    Its amazing what a little exercise and good nutrition will do to a person, with physical health and mental health. I agree 100% Turgon!

Transfats and industrial food. Cheap mass produced oils in everything you eat. Get it out of your diet and go for natural fats which your body needs. Obesity, diabeties, cancer, heart disease. All on the rise in large part to the way in which food has been screwed around with the last thirty years.

Be advised though, once you look into it, a lot of things in your shopping trolley will have to go.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I certainly know a kid that didn't have ADD, but he had gotten his hands on a bottle or ritilin and would take it whenever he had a test because it would help him concentrate. Personally, i think its stupid as hell.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A nice single malt and water pored down the side of a Glencarin glass always gets me ready to study or do serious reading. No fried veggies or other defective prep methods needed. Natures mind expansion connection to my spirit guide for learning. It has worked for years. :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    neuropolneuropol Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Starting a fresh bottle of adderal today. I've found it does help me concentrate. In high school and previous college I could never study, now it is much easier for me.

Taking any meds without a prescription is dumb, but using mind altering drugs without care is even worse. It's because of people like that I can't get more than a month prescription at a time and am in the doctors office every month.