Options

What is...

waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
your commute like? i will be starting my new job in 2 weeks. The commute will be roughly 80-90 minutes using public transportation. I was here wondering how long does your commute take, and how, or if it impacts your family life?
Until this point, i have been working a compressed schedule 10/hr days 4x/wk and getting home late, late being 7, and then going to the gym for 30-60 minutes, coming home and playing with the kid for 1 hr before its time for him to go to bed. Glad to go back to a normal schedule.
when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have like a 10 minute one way commute so it doesn't really get in the way of life.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I have like a 10 minute one way commute so it doesn't really get in the way of life.

sweet!, i think i'll make that a big priority for my next job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    waltdee wrote: »

I have a 30-45 minute commute each way. I think I can comfortably say that this is the most that I ever want to drive for a job. Anything more would probably begin to take a toll on me. I can imagine for you it might be better since you were working until 7.
  • Options
    waltdee wrote: »

I usually find a job and then get a house close to that haha. I've never had more than a 15 minute or so commute, but that may have to change when I buy a house. I really hate being stuck in traffic.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    15 minutes for if I park in the schools parking ramp. If I don'nt then its 25min because I have to park in the neighborhood and walk to school. It doesn't really affect family life but since my nephew was just born, I think it will.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live 14 miles from work and it takes me 3 hours round trip.. Damn vision :P anyway it sucks and its funny too I can go even further out and its still an hour and half! oh well.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    20-25 minutes without traffic. 30-40 with traffic. (which of course is when I almost always come in)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    4E65644E6564 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I walk to work! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    4e6564 wrote: »
    i walk to work! icon_cheers.gif

you suck sooo baddddd!!!!!!!
    Aaaaaaaa
  • Options
    bugsybugsy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Used to be about 50 minutes of driving, then another 15 minutes walking from the parking lot. It got quite painful after a while, especially during the winter. Imagine working a 15 hour shift, then walking all the way back to the parking lot in -5F. Try(!) to get the car running, scrape all the ice off of it, and then drive back home... Good times, good times!

I moved to a new apt., and now it takes me about 5 minutes to walk to work. Much better! :)
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    4E6564 wrote: »

No fair!! I could too but its three miles to work.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No fair!! I could too but its three miles to work.

I could too, but I would have to leave at like midnight...
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Takes me 45 minutes. Perth has 1.5million people and the CBD is effectively only a few long streets. It shouldn't take that long to get anywhere.

Last year I used the time on the bus to partly study for exams. It's not all bad.
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    .3 miles to the office. I still have to get to work 20 minutes early just to ensure I don't have to deal with the stress of traffic.
  • Options
    2ndchance wrote: »
    .3 miles to the office. I still have to get to work 20 minutes early just to ensure I don't have to deal with the stress of traffic.

You are .3 miles from work and drive!?! Or is that foot traffic you are talking about?
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I'm about 20-30 minutes from the office. I only go in two days a week though, so it's not too bad.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    50 minutes 1 way but come Monday it will be 15 minutes 1 way.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    30 minutes average each way. Worse if drivers challenge the laws of physics, which seems about twice a week. Want to find a DoD job but that could mean working on one of the military bases and add at least an hour to the round trip.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    southern California therefore no comment, other than about the coin toss. icon_sad.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    15-20 minutes.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually find a job and then get a house close to that haha. I've never had more than a 15 minute or so commute, but that may have to change when I buy a house. I really hate being stuck in traffic.

Homeownership will really limit how you want to spend your commute. You will really feel stuck to your commute once you get a mortgage.

I am a "accidental landlord", so I am able to do apartment hopping and stay close to my job (never more than 10-15 minutes...25-30 if I have to take a bus). Once my property is able to get sold, like you, I want no more than a 30-45 minute commute. I had a commute that was 90 minutes each way that was 2 states away....(yeah that's right 2 states....NJ to CT...but it was Grenwich, so it was like going to the Bronx/Westchester County). Though I would NEVER do that again......lol. Especially when I have to fill up my own gas.........lmao.

Yeah, the best thing about being from NJ....where it's not only illegal to self serve, but we pay less than you do for remaining in our cars! Haha!!
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    4E6564 wrote: »

me too, work is literally across the street.
    WIP: IPS exam