Options

Where is the NVRAM?

sxzaq1sxzaq1 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, I opened the case on my 1721 router, I found the FLASH memory,..................I'm just curious, physically, where is the NVRAM, can I touch it? Can I see it? Is it inside the FLASH? By the way, where is the ROM. I know where the RAM is. Anyone, anyone?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    For your 1700 the NVRAM is a chip on the board. It is most probably a socketed PLCC IC. The ROM on a 1700 is a socketed PLCC IC.

For certain devices, the NVRAM is integrated into the flash.

Generally you will never mess around with the NVRAM chip. If it is faulty then it will be repaired via your maintenance contract.

You may upgrade the flash, RAM and boot ROM yourself in certain situations.
  • Options
    sxzaq1sxzaq1 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tiersten
    Thanks!, I was also curious, I ran a Google search on every part number and bar code number (on the motherboard) but couldn't find many answers. I'm studying for my CCENT and any visual image of the components definitely help me learn. Maybe I'll post some pics of the motherboard. Thanks again.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its usualy a little square chip (like the bios chip on a PC mother board), it only holds a very small amount of memory.

Inside Cisco 2651XM — Man v. Cisco look on this page and one of the images is of the NVram chip.

Some routers allow you to swap them out (often the larger routers where it may be worth replacing a faulty one), but for other routers the NVRAM chip is fixed to the board.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.