Options

Crazy Promotion!!!!

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys

great news and bad news.icon_rolleyes.gif
check this out. My boss gets fired and I get hired into his job!
I am IT Manager for our credit union now. I get full access to everything.
I am so excited and scared at the same time. The IT stuff I am not worried about it is the processing for the credit union. It is a huge
learning curve of which I can do but very scary to fill a guys
shoes that has worked there 25 years wow.
But this guy did some very bad things ethically.
Has anyone ever experienced this?
I am happy but kind of sad for the guy kind of!
But ready to fill this guys shoes. Here goes
Big hike in pay and responsibility. Yikes.
I mean I can do it but still wow who knew! some guy after 25 years
could get canned. But all I have to say is respect your Boss the guy
who writes your meal ticket this guy butted heads with his boss
not good! and didnt respect his boss.
OMG I am the big guy so weird to have full access now when I only had
partial access before wow! I am goingto master all the IT systems for sure. Finally..I get to run the show! yeah!
I am still going to persue CCNP then MCITP-EA but now I dont have to hurry or go to India just yet! I might go when I can but I am set for awhile
how exciting and scary. I will be talking to you guys a lot haah
thanks ;)icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess there are many lessons one can take from this...

The one thing I can definitely advise you on is that be excited in private, but cool, calm and collected in public. Since you're the boss now, you have to give the impression that you know what you're doing, even when you don't. Saying "I don't know" to a subordinate is a surefire way of losing his/her respect. Having said that, don't be afraid to ask for help either, but always have final say.

Remember too...as easy as it was for your boss to be canned.....well...let's not dwell on that. lol. Enjoy the promotion! :D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

I was actually wondering today if you were training in India since you hadn't posted in a while.

If you want you can practice your Business Communication skills (and grammar and punctuation) in your posts I don't think anyone here would mind icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, but now that you're the boss you don't have to know the technical stuff. That's what delegation is for.

Good luck with your first firing. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    hey guys

Former programmer (worked for 15 years) started to sell our product to everyone interested. For 30 proc. of original price. When he was fired we celebrated. Till now I get propositions from his former "clients" to sell "some stuff" for xxx amout of $. Never did, always informed the boss and we always filled the lawsuit against them.

"Saying "I don't know" to a subordinate is a surefire way of losing his/her respect." Disagree, because when you say "I know" and you're asked about specifics - you can get in uncomfortable situation if you don't know a thing.
    For example, if my boss says "I don't know" he doesn't lose my or colleagues respect. His job is not to know everything (it's our job). His job is to make a decision based on knowledge we provide to him.
    Of course, it's true if the boss have enough people to cover all the IT asspects for him.

Congratulations and be nice to your peers. One day they may become you boss :)
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hey guys

great news and bad news.icon_rolleyes.gif
    check this out. My boss gets fired and I get hired into his job!
    I am IT Manager for our credit union now. I get full access to everything.
    I am so excited and scared at the same time. The IT stuff I am not worried about it is the processing for the credit union. It is a huge
    learning curve of which I can do but very scary to fill a guys
    shoes that has worked there 25 years wow.
    I am happy but kind of sad for the guy kind of!
    But ready to fill this guys shoes. Here goes
    Big hike in pay and responsibility. Yikes.
    I mean I can do it but still wow who knew! some guy after 25 years
    could get canned. But all I have to say is respect your Boss the guy
    who writes your meal ticket this guy butted heads with his boss
    not good! and didnt respect his boss.
    OMG I am the big guy so weird to have full access now when I only had
    partial access before wow! I am goingto master all the IT systems for sure. Finally..I get to run the show! yeah!
    I am still going to persue CCNP then MCITP-EA but now I dont have to hurry or go to India just yet! I might go when I can but I am set for awhile
    how exciting and scary. I will be talking to you guys a lot haah
    thanks ;)icon_cheers.gif

If your boss got canned I recommend you think hard about how to avoid the same thing happening to you. Whatever was happening there you need to do a few things differently, and *better*, or at least better in terms of meeting the expectations of the people who got your boss fired. You need to find out what those expectations really are and assess if you can meet them properly without killing yourself. If they are not realistic then you will need to find a way to broker a deal with these people to reset expectations into something more realistic and reasonable. This may be something your boss either avoided or tried to do but failed.

You may soon find out that you will have to work very hard on the people/politics/business side of the shop as opposed to the technical. Your certs will not help you there. Take a deep breath and start working on your profile within the company and work very hard indeed to build effective working relationships.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Robert, congrats mate! best of luck in the new role!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    Now you're the big guy. Don't forget you were once the small guy. Keep your head high, your heart in the right place, and forge ahead. Good luck in your new position.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

Matt27[lt] wrote: »
    ..."Saying "I don't know" to a subordinate is a surefire way of losing his/her respect." Disagree, because when you say "I know" and you're asked about specifics - you can get in uncomfortable situation if you don't know a thing.
    For example, if my boss says "I don't know" he doesn't lose my or colleagues respect. His job is not to know everything (it's our job). His job is to make a decision based on knowledge we provide to him.
    Of course, it's true if the boss have enough people to cover all the IT asspects for him.

Just to add to the "I don't know" comments. I don't think it is bad to say you don't know something, it's 'how' you say it. If you approach the unknowns as great opportunities you can really swing this to your favor...think Star Trek ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Itdaddy movein' on up!
    mikej412 wrote:
    If you want you can practice your Business Communication skills (and grammar and punctuation) in your posts I don't think anyone here would mindicon_lol.gif

:D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man!!!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome! The promotion means more $$$ right?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Just to add to the "I don't know" comments. I don't think it is bad to say you don't know something, it's 'how' you say it. If you approach the unknowns as great opportunities you can really swing this to your favor...think Star Trek ;)

That's pretty much what I meant. No one knows everything, but at the same time you don't want to appear incompetent either. I learned very early in my career to say "I don't know" in very creative ways. "I'll have to look into this further and get back to you" or "Well, you tell me, what do you think?"

Star Trek (particularly the TNG series) is pretty much what comes to mind in how I would run my ship. Very orderly structure and the hierarchy was always respected.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz! icon_thumright.gif

I would start finding out why your manager was let go. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes in two months.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I guess there are many lessons one can take from this...

The one thing I can definitely advise you on is that be excited in private, but cool, calm and collected in public. Since you're the boss now, you have to give the impression that you know what you're doing, even when you don't. Saying "I don't know" to a subordinate is a surefire way of losing his/her respect. Having said that, don't be afraid to ask for help either, but always have final say.

I'll second this. "Let me check on it" or "I'll get back to you on that" are a thousand times better than "I don't know"

Congrats and good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome opportunity
  • Options
    SunnyRainSunnyRain Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "Saying "I don't know" to a subordinate is a surefire way of losing his/her respect." Disagree, because when you say "I know" and you're asked about specifics - you can get in uncomfortable situation if you don't know a thing.
    Of course, it's true if the boss have enough people to cover all the IT aspects for him.

I just wanted to add a few things to what has already been said. I currently deal with a boss who seems to make an effort to not know how to do much on an operations level (or any level, really), is quick to throw "I don't know" around, and yet tries to micromanage certain parts of the operation which require a bit of insight into what all the various jobs entail. If the supervisor/manager says "I don't know" with willful negligence, or in a way that seems to constantly pass the buck, then such a person can never be an effective leader who is able to garner the respect of subordinates and peers. There are appropriate times to delegate specific knowledge, yet the buck does stop with you when you hold the job title of boss. But regardless of that job title - you still have to earn the position of leader, which isn't an easy role to come by if you are perceived as being clueless.

Having said all that, I do think it is best to be honest and upfront with what you do and do not know. There is nothing wrong with admitting that you don't know something if in fact you don't. Being able to say "I don't know", in a situation where it would be far easier to act as if you do know, is the mark of an honest and respectable person. However, being redundantly ignorant to your subordinates while at the same time trying to give your boss the impression that you're on top of things pretty much just boils down to being a dishonest incompetent.

Should you respect such a boss? I personally believe in giving respect where respect is due, but this is not to say that you should treat your boss with blatant disrespect if he or she doesn't have your respect. Use a little tact with your dealings and try to convey a positive attitude so that you do not needlessly find yourself on the same chopping block that your boss may be on some day.

This brings to mind a quote that I like from Stan Lee: "With great power there must also come - great responsibility".
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Wow! That is intimidating, but stay cool and collective. You can do it!

It's an opportunity of a life-time!

I wish you the best!!!
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Congrats Robert! Time to take the reigns and get a baseline of expectations and how everything runs. Document it as best you can. Find out why he was let go. Figure out how and where you can improve things. Start small and work at it. You'll get there.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cablegod wrote: »
    Congrats Robert! Time to take the reigns and get a baseline of expectations and how everything runs. Document it as best you can. Find out why he was let go. Figure out how and where you can improve things. Start small and work at it. You'll get there.

Good luck! Two Roberts with promotions on TE this week!
  • Options
    I am going to cry. You guys are the best. And I agree with all of what you said or didn't say.

1. my grammer and spelling to improve - yes
    2. I know why he got fired...I was a part of the process to find out
    what he was doing....
    3. had no idea it would go this far but I always thought what he did was wrong..unethical and I am not even like him.
    4. spent 10 years active duty military in the US Air Force in the Aerospace Intelligence and I do understand ethics etc.... and team work.
    5. The president of the CU is ruiting for me and come to hear that everyone at the CU is ruiting for me...made me kind of tear up you know.
    6. I have always had the mentality of a servant. I am hear to serve the people not beat them down. I know how to tigten security and let the security do it not my mouth and fist. I rally people not beat them down.
    7. I always have been of the school "I don't know that but I will find out how and let you know"

all of your advice are golden to me you guys are my brothers.
    And the cool thing is I am Enterprise admin now! The POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hahaa

but yeah, I will remember where I came from.

Thank you my brothers.

And Mike about India...well now I can work on my certs and really see all the stuff in the network now. Full access yeah! But my home lab will just get bigger....I am so pumped.

Thank The Good Lord too. I am a Chirstian and God has been a huge influence in my life. I am a firm believer that Good will over come evil one day. And if you work hard, and be honest and truthful and care for others God honors that. Praise the Lord Jesus for my life. He has been gracious too me. Hope I don't offend anyone but God has been there for me and deserves all the credit.

Trust me IT Daddy is in the House!

God bless you my brothers!

you will be hearing from me soon on CCNP stuff hammering out my CBTs as usual. CCNP is awesome! I can feel the CLI power coming

Thanks nel you the man!

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck! Two Roberts with promotions on TE this week!

Looking at a possible promotion at my job in the coming weeks. If it doesn't work out, I'll sleep better knowing I can blame my parents for not naming me Robert.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the promotion! so now that you're higher on the ladder have some slots opened up on the lower rungs? just asking :P

Good luck with learning everything :)
  • Options
    Zartanasaurus

OMG is that hilarious! and I always like the name Brad or something haha
    hahahha

wweboy

yes looking we have my job open....
    we have interviewed for it but I know I am in the loop as far as choice..
    he will be my side kick!
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Zartanasaurus

OMG is that hilarious! and I always like the name Brad or something haha
    hahahha

wweboy

yes looking we have my job open....
    we have interviewed for it but I know I am in the loop as far as choice..
    he will be my side kick!

Your side kick needs a cape!
  • Options
    hahhhaha yep he does ahhaha;)