Options

XP Stop Codes

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys I am working on a tower at the moment and it is driving me nuts!!. basically it gets halfway through a XP install and bombs,

Below are the stop codes I am being greeted with

stop 0x0000000D1 IRQ-LESS-OR EQUAL

0x0000 8330, 0x00000005, 0x00000001, 0xF84A9721

atapi.sys Address F84A9721 base at F84A0000

So far I have changed the hard disks about 3 times and also have changed both sets of IDE cables.

I have changed the CD-ROM drives and IDE cables.

I have memtested the original ram for about 4 hours and have replaced with a further set of good tested ram.

I have changed the processor, the Motherboard looks good no bulging capacitors

I have taken out the graphics card and have used both the onboard and a new card.

Replaced the PSU, I am now at my wits end lol

Is there any way I can actually find out what these stop codes mean?

Many Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Are you sure the media is OK?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Google is how I always find out. But I am guessing you already tried that...
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    atapi.sys usually points to storage, but it's been WAY too long since I troubleshot this kinda stuff.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    The media is fine, I have tested the XP Disks on other machines, I am really stumped on this

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Generally for blue screens I first stop off to Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages for a bit more info on the stop code.

Since this is a Windows installation things I would try are:

Update the BIOS if possible, also reset it to defaults. Switch between AHCI and ATA operation modes on the drives. When starting the installation cd hit F5 and select standard computer when it asks. That will disable ACPI which may get you past the blue screen. If so then after the installation is finished you'll probably want to switch back to an ACPI HAL. For a description of some of the keys during install check Description of the Windows Setup Function Keys
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    I left the machine running over night yesterday and was greeted with another stop code today.

Page_Fault_In Nonpaged Areas

Stop 0x000000050 (0xf815565, 0x00000001, 0xF84F20FD, 0X0000000

Setupdd.sys Address F84F20F2

I have just started another clean install using the standard F5 option will let you know what the outcome sis

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Since you are now down to swags it seems; go and see if of all things your floppy controller is turned off in the BIOS. If it is off then turn it on. Two out of three of my home Rackable servers exibit wierd install problems like yours if the controller is off. I think it may be a conflict with USB boot options but I never cycled enough test cases to prove anything. I discovered it accidently and passed on this advice to a few associates and it worked for at least one person.

Without dragging through my notes your problems seem to be buffer related as in itty bitty hardware buffers.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO