Ccent?

helioshelios Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I'm looking towards my next cert and I'm not sure where to go. I just finished my MCITP:SA a few weeks ago, and I think I'm done with MS certs for the moment. I've noticed a lot of jobs looking for some Linux or Cisco experience, so naturally I started looking at the Linux+ and CCENT. CCENT seems more up my alley since I'm really interested in networking. Has anyone done this cert before? Is it something I would find useful given my other certs?

Thanks for the advise!
A+, Network+, MCP, MSDST, MCITP:SA, HDI-SCA, MCTS, ITILv3

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I havent done CCENT, but I know it is basically the first 1/2 of CCNA - both of which are very useful. I am also in the same boat - done with MS for a while, and I need to start up cisco knowledge.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you posted this in the CCENT/CCNA forum you would probably get more responses. Maybe a moderator will move it for you?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The question is whether or not to go Cisco or Linux, so this is an appropriate forum for the post. I have my CCNA and it has really helped me get jobs, but what you learn other than solid networking is inapplicable in a lot of places. I spend much more time on firewalls then I do in switches.

If you go the linux route Linux + will not be taken seriously. Look into the Red Hat certification process. The lack of reliable linux talent in the industry is noticeable; however we are overflowing with CCNAs.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you go the linux route Linux + will not be taken seriously.

Says who?
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Says who?

My coworkers who are linux professionals and my own experience dealing with people who have CompTia certifications compared to people who have industry specific certs.

I am not interested in starting some sort of stupid war about the value of CompTia certs. I have no personal stake in that discussion. I am trying to help someone who is starting out their IT career with advice I have learned in the field. The Linux+ cert may be totally awesome, but that doesn't mean beans if Linux professionals dismiss it.

If it were me, having gone through an AIX basic course and suffered through "this is how you send an email at the linux console" when what I really need to know is how to set up cron jobs etc; I would go the Red Hat certification path.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you checked out the new version of Linux+ powered by LPI? CompTIA Linux+
    Decide what to be and go be it.