Options

Practical test at an interview?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

i have been contemplating a new job after my recent move, 10 months ago, has turned out to be a pretty bad move - so much so, that i have lost all enthusiasm and passion to self study to achieve my wanted targets. After getting a kick up the ar$e from someone i have decided to put things right - new job possibilities, applying for my masters degree and picking up my CCNP books once more - COME ON i know i can do this :D.

ive just been contacted regarding a formal interview after passing the phone interview ok for an ISP. now, they have informed me i will face a practical examination. Does anyone have any idea what i should expect? will it be a lab scenario where i have to configure certain things?

ive been totally honest with the company regarding my routing experiance - i have very little to be fair - but they seem to be impressed with my age, background and academic ability so i want to make the most of this. Im thinking ospf and bgp will probably be 2 big factors as they were two area's they seemed to be stressing upon in the interview. The two arent strong points for me but i will start reading up and labbing as much as i can. ACL's were another area also.

any help would be much appreciated guys. i have about 2 weeks to prepare.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    in your position i would refrain from trying to cram new topics and concepts that you dont have listed on your resume and instead focus on going over the materials for the things that you do (that would be relevant to the job you are applying for). the fact you got a second interview is a good sign.

good luck!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the advice but my only worry is that if the lab has routing aspects with bgp etc in there then i may come up stuck.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Nel I wouldnt worry about it too much, maybe a quick lab practice of to do some initial configs for it. Chances are it will be NA level testing so vty password, vlan, management ip's etc. to make sure you know how to get around the cli more than anything

but who knows till you get there, so no real point in worrying about the unknown.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Hi Nel,

Which ISP is this if you don't mind sharing? Lab is most likely going to be a mixture of BGP and IGP + some redistribution thrown in, nothing to be afraid of, they are not expecting you to configure ISP backbone from ground up this is just to find out your level of knowledge so they know what to expect from you.

HTH
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The lab they give the techs here is just a simple troubleshooting deal. Thats what most of your life will be in an ISP job until you move up in the world. I doubt you will get much BGP in there unless you are going for a fairly high level position.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.