Options

How many Cisco devices at your work?

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Hey guys, just wondering, how many of you guys deal with 100% cisco equipment at work, 50%, 25% etc etc...
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    100% just about. i threw out the last 3com about 2 years ago

Company not so much a fan boy, but I get to source all the equipmnt and when we had a site refresh starting about 5 years back I was in the psotition to pick and choses. Liked the CISCO kit we already hard, so replaced about 70 3com switchs with CISCO.

HAving a single manafacture on site is nice for managment, but I do some times wish I had a foundation or HP switch in amongst it just to introduce me to it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Pretty much 100% save for a Blade Center or two with HP crap and some Nortel VPN stuff.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Networking is 100% Cisco
    Servers are 100% HP
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Our IP network is almost entirely Cisco, I'd be verging on the 98-99% realm, with the odd office switch/hub being a random vendor. In terms of transaction processing, a lot is in house software implementations on Linux devices, with a mixture of old Riverstone load balancers which are being phased out and being replaced by F5s.

I know theres one or two other devices sat around, but the entire IP routing/switching infrastructure is pretty much Cisco through and through.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    100% Cisco - because that's what the few of us who have to support it know best :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    100% for now, and with intentions to stay that way.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot to add

Telephony 100% Cisco.

Yum, yum, yum.
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    99% for switching and routing. There are sub organizations that run their own stuff and we started using Motorola for our wireless bridges since Cisco has been lazy in this arena.
  • Options
    Wow, I can say I'm pretty shocked by the results. I really thought I'd get more 50/50....with the cost of Cisco compared to other vendors, this is indeed interesting.

For those that are in charge or have say in the equipment at your workplace, have you had other vendors cold call you and try to switch you onto their equipment?
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    checkpoint here icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    jovan88 wrote: »
    checkpoint here icon_sad.gif

Huh? But that's only one device, what about the rest of your equipment?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Core, Access, Edge, Firewall all Cisco, but we're testing a Palo Alto firewall and NetEqualizer QoS stuff as well. So not 100%.
  • Options
    UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Uggh. I rarely chime in, just hide out in the shadows but..

Do I dare say that I just "upgraded" 20 switches to HP ProCurve icon_cry.gif and what a mess. So less than 25% here. Just the internet edge routers and phone system is Cisco.

BTW. It wasn't my choice.
  • Options
    Be careful about the HP procurves, I don't have much experience with them, but from what I've read, if you have issues, support will treat you like a kid.

Meaning, you'll have to always upgrade to the latest version first before they try to help you, this could be a good or bad thing. Bad if it breaks even more things.

It takes quite some time to get up to an actual engineer, but once you do they are quite knowledgeable. But it can take you a week before you can get access to one.

That's just what I've heard through the grapevine......
  • Options
    allredcallredc Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A rough estimate would put us at about 5%. The rest are Allied Telesis
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Huh? But that's only one device, what about the rest of your equipment?

failed to mention the Procurves, theyre decent devices
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    99% Cisco , 1% Juniper
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Undy wrote: »
    Uggh. I rarely chime in, just hide out in the shadows but..

Do I dare say that I just "upgraded" 20 switches to HP ProCurve icon_cry.gif and what a mess. So less than 25% here. Just the internet edge routers and phone system is Cisco.

BTW. It wasn't my choice.

At least your phone system isn't Nortel (now Avaya). I swear, everytime we try to add a feature we have to add like 3 windows servers that run flaky ass nortel junk.
  • Options
    My parent company run HP ProCurves 100% throughout.

However, the IT Director admitted that they were weak in networking, and might want my help to build a better one...

Who knows if anything will come of such a request, but here is hope.
  • Options
    UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    My parent company run HP ProCurves 100% throughout.

However, the IT Director admitted that they were weak in networking, and might want my help to build a better one...

Who knows if anything will come of such a request, but here is hope.

I don't find them weak really, just unstable. 10Gbps is cheap in the ProCurve making them attractive. My 8212zl's in the core have not made it past 2 months uptime. While on the phone with HP tech support trying to see why a module continues to crash, he want a "show tech all". 10 seconds into the command and the switch decided to reload. Made for a fun Friday afternoon and certainly makes you think twice about what commands you type on production equipment. Things settled for a few weeks and then bam! Doing a "show config" doesn't work, "translator failure" and it needs to be reloaded again to fix with the possibility of a corrupt config. My problems certainly don't affect all ProCurve so I am not trying to bash, just getting some frustration out. :D

You just get a better feeling with Cisco because it is proven to work. Not that it is perfect or never fails, it just works. :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We were about 90% Cisco with some Juniper, Foundry and Redback. Now we are merging with another company and they are mostly Juniper with some Cisco. We have A LOT of Cisco 7200s though so the network will still be majority Cisco percentage wise.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    If you consider the CatOS switches as Cisco gear as well, then it's 100%
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'm not on the networking team (yet icon_study.gif)....but from what I can tell it's about 25% where I work. Our routers/firewall are the only Cisco gear I know of. All the switches are Alcatel-Lucent and the phone system is Nortel.

I've been planning to dive into Alcatel after I finish my CCNA so that I'll be ready when a network tech position opens up (I'm working desktop for now).
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I do IT work for different companies in my area so there is a wide variety of equipment I work with. Since most of my clients are small business, very few have Cisco equipment. I probably have to support less than 10 Cisco devices.

My last company (100 employees) was 90% Cisco as they had a healthy budget for networking equipment. Before that I worked for a company that got bought out by a giant company who would only allow us to use Cisco equipment (darn) so we had to replace our entire network infrastructure with Cisco gear - very cool.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We were about 90% Cisco, then we were bought out by another company (I luckily survived the massive layoffs, but that's another story). Anyhow, the new company is even more into Cisco. The remaining Nortel gear is being replaced by Cisco and our VPN software was replaced by the Cisco version.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Absolutely ZERO. I run an entirely Juniper-powered network.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    mshadowmshadow Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We have Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper....we love all vendors lol....
    CPTE, C|EH, OSCP, CCA, ACSP
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    cablegod wrote: »
    Absolutely ZERO. I run an entirely Juniper-powered network.

Niiice !
    I am jealous.
    Non-native English speaker