CCNA self study strategy

rushdownrushdown Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm going for my CCNA and please tell me what you think of my strategy.

Background: I'm a college student going for my Computer Science degree. I'm poor. I don't want to attend a CCNA bootcamp. I'm a TOTAL newbie to Cisco. I have some networking knowledge due to passing the Network+ exam last month. Before that, I was a total newbie to networking period! I learn best by listening and watching, rather than reading books.

My Strategy: I'm going to borrow my friend's copy of Train Signal's CCNA videos to take the place of class room training.

I've already downloaded GNS3 and am also going to do some of the labs located at Free CCNA Workbook. (Awesome site, with VIDEOS!!)

I am also going to get a physical study guide for CCNA as an extra source of information. Any good recommendations??

I'm giving myself approx. 6 months to study for CCNA exam because school is coming soon and that's also a time commitment on its own.

As a frame of reference, during the summer (no classes) I got my Network+ with about 3 weeks of studying. I also passed Security+ less than a month after that. I used basically the same strategy with the exception of any labs. I just watched videos and read some study guides. So, I think I can learn fast. Maybe 6 months is too much time for learning CCNA-I really don't know. I know it is more challenging that's for sure!! It's not just concepts- but also syntax to memorize!

I'm sure it is much better to have real equipment, but I'm sure GNS3 will take me past CCNA from the information I've been gathering thus far.

Comments

• xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'm on my iPhone or else elaborate but definitely pick up Wendell Odem's CCNA certification books. They are the best books out there from my experience.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What works for you is the best way to study. Just don't **** by using ****. The Odom books are awsome to study from but the information in the books can be a little difficult at first but it'll get easier. I think Todd Lammle's CCNA sixth edition is a good book to practice labs from because it seems more straight forward to me. People have gotten their CCNA done in six months and longer.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****