Options

New Job W/ AT&T

2»

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new job!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I did not get the job because I knew anyone. I interviewed for the job, the manager said that I interviewed extremely well, all four people that interviewed me were impressed and decided they wanted to hire me. I've been on about 3-5 interviews since getting my CCNP, didn't get any others, until this one.

The position was acquired from applying from Careerbuilder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The position was acquired from applying from Careerbuilder.

That is awesome man. I hope I didn't offend you, I just wanted to know how hard it is to break through if you don't have a networking background but have the credentials. I'm sure it feels great for all of that hard work to pay off! Do you think that experience may have been a factor in the other jobs you interviewed for? It is definitely encouraging to know that even big names are still giving people a shot.
  • Options
    You didn't offend me lol. I would say that I definitely think that having no experience was what effected me in the other interviews; even though I knew how to do the things they wanted and could answer all their questions. But don't let that discourage you. Eventually someone is going to give you a shot. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally landed a good job to move into the networking realm and get some hands on experience after getting my CCNP. I got an offer from AT&T as a Network Engineer. Very good pay. I'm pretty excited, it says that I will be dealing with BGP, EIGRP, MPLS, and QoS mainly. I'm excited to get some more experience with all these in a production environment, it will definitely help with my studying for my CCIE!!! :D

Congrats man! That's awesome! good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    BluetorchBluetorch Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Big Congratulations Bill!

I agree that getting the CCNP definitely helps even if you lack in experience. Since I've got mine its peaked interest in my resume and I believe it was the main reason behind a job offer I got just earlier this week (finalizing negotiations now).

Can't wait to get the CCIE and see how that catapultes my career :D
    In Progress:
    BS - Information and Communication Technology
    CCIE Written
  • Options
    Me as well, Congrats on the offer! I hope you hit em hard! :)
  • Options
    cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Sir!
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Congrats Man!! Keepin' hope alive for those of us stuck in the helpdesk world...(gotta keep reading AND labbing, labbing, labbing...)
  • Options
    spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    Geetar28 wrote: »
    Congrats Man!! Keepin' hope alive for those of us stuck in the helpdesk world...(gotta keep reading AND labbing, labbing, labbing...)

+1

This thread actually motivated me to purchase the SWITCH book and start diving into the CCNP.
  • Options
    killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to thank you Bill for convincing me on getting my CCNP. I would have stopped after BSCI. Like yourself, I don't have much experience with networking. My past positions were just about 2 yrs tech support stuff.

I was offered a network engineering position after a great interview. I showed them that I knew my stuff and they were impressed and decided to take me in. I thought this day would never come.

So for people who are working hard, don't lose hope and your hard work will pay off. With or without experience, keep working!
  • Options
    killuah72 wrote: »
    I have to thank you Bill for convincing me on getting my CCNP. I would have stopped after BSCI. Like yourself, I don't have much experience with networking. My past positions were just about 2 yrs tech support stuff.

I was offered a network engineering position after a great interview. I showed them that I knew my stuff and they were impressed and decided to take me in. I thought this day would never come.

So for people who are working hard, don't lose hope and your hard work will pay off. With or without experience, keep working!

So you got offered another job in networking? Did you complete your CCNP? Just trying to get an idea of how I motivated you lol. I appreciate the thanks guys, this forum is definitely an asset to be honest for any of us preparing for certs along the way. I've been here since I started my CCNA and plan to stay for a long time. I would definitely say for anyone looking for light at the end of the tunnel to move into the networking world, especially if your on a help desk, go for it! It isn't going to hurt you and most definitely it is going to give you more looks at your resume; as well as interviews. Plus, most employers, if they see you did this preparation on your own, a lot of them will be impressed; and eventually someone is going to want to spend the resources to train you on the job. They will figure you'll stick around for a little while and it will be worth their investment icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So you got offered another job in networking? Did you complete your CCNP? Just trying to get an idea of how I motivated you lol. I appreciate the thanks guys, this forum is definitely an asset to be honest for any of us preparing for certs along the way. I've been here since I started my CCNA and plan to stay for a long time. I would definitely say for anyone looking for light at the end of the tunnel to move into the networking world, especially if your on a help desk, go for it! It isn't going to hurt you and most definitely it is going to give you more looks at your resume; as well as interviews. Plus, most employers, if they see you did this preparation on your own, a lot of them will be impressed; and eventually someone is going to want to spend the resources to train you on the job. They will figure you'll stick around for a little while and it will be worth their investment icon_thumright.gif

We posted here a while back:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/54224-path-ccnp.html

I forgot to mention that I passed the BCMSN but about 2 weeks after that I gave TSHOOT a shot and passed and completed my CCNP. I was in study mode and nothing else mattered. Went after Sec+ after that.

I didn't have any on-the-job networking experience like you but was still offered a position and the CCNP was my ticket to the interview. If you hadn't said anything back then I would've just stopped my CCNP pursuit and waited to get the experience that who knows when will come.

Even though you forgot, even small nudges like that is sometimes just what people need to keep moving forward. Thank you.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    :study: Life+