Weird Console Issue

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have been doing some consoling and I had to loan out my good usb to console converter, and got this other cheaper one for the mean time.

Why is it I can console into my 1760, but not my switches (my 3524 or my 2900's)? Anyone experienced this before? Is there something different between the group of them? I did a google search but nothing has come up.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The console port has a different design or level converter chip and the USB serial adapter doesn't like it. Get a better USB serial adapter since some of them aren't very forgiving in terms of voltage variations etc...
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    The console port has a different design or level converter chip and the USB serial adapter doesn't like it. Get a better USB serial adapter since some of them aren't very forgiving in terms of voltage variations etc...

Good to know, looks like no STP and VTP labs for me since I can only get to my router until i get my cable back XD.

Thanks!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    chmorin wrote: »
    Good to know, looks like no STP and VTP labs for me since I can only get to my router until i get my cable back XD.
    Well. I'm assuming that the ports do actually work. You can blow the level converters inside if you're not careful.