Options

Preparing Security+

GurmyGurmy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to prepare security+ test. I would like you recommend me some material to study.

I've read a topic in this forum from wsnell. On this topic you all speak about braindumps. what exactly is that? Sorry about my ignorance but I'm new on certification's world and English is not my mother tongue (that is obvious,isn't it? icon_redface.gif ) I don´t wanna create controversy, I only want to know what's it.

Thanks very much to everyone and sorry about my bad English.

Comments

• Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Gurmy wrote:
    I'm going to prepare security+ test. I would like you recommend me some material to study.

I've read a topic in this forum from wsnell. On this topic you all speak about braindumps. what exactly is that? Sorry about my ignorance but I'm new on certification's world and English is not my mother tongue (that is obvious,isn't it? icon_redface.gif ) I don´t wanna create controversy, I only want to know what's it.

Thanks very much to everyone and sorry about my bad English.

Braindumps are papers that actual questions from the tests...People use them to get past a test without studying, reading, practice, or experience....They are not good....

To answer your question about what to study for the Security+...The Technotes on this site are great and so are the practice exams. I know others don't like this book, but I used the Syngress Security+ study guide. It is a large orange book. Good luck to you...and stick around this forum..there a lot of good people here that can help you out with just about any cert...

Oh yeah...Welcome to the forum....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    Welcome to the site Gurmy,
    As Ten9t6 stated, this site is great for technotes, you can get a good overview from Exam Cram 2 series (book) or Security All in one books (the one I have is from G. White), but the trick is to try more than one source, but not too many so you don't become overwhelmed. I missed the security+ test the first time - and will retake next week- NOT by going to braindumps- but rereading the areas I missed- and getting my nerves back into shape.
    Good luck in your quest, see you in the forums.
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Sulblk27 wrote:
    and will retake next week- NOT by going to braindumps- but rereading the areas I missed-

The way it should be done. It feels a lot better to be honest.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    XCommandXCommand Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Today I bought Syngress Security+ book.It looks good from inside and out.I also downloaded the objectives from Comptia site.The objectives and the book fit even with the order.
    I already started reading the book and enjoying myself.The language is understandable and not boring.But sometimes the author gives information about the things which are not covered in Security+ objectives but those things make you understand the concept better.I can not compare it to another book because it is the only book I have for Security+.But I recommend this one even there are some people in amazon.com reviews who don't recommend it.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum Gurmy

As far as study materials goes - Tcat Howsers work comes highly recommended. A quick read through the MS Press book shows that it is very light in some areas, but what it does cover it covers well.
    The Learnkey CBTs are interesting and fairly helpful, but do not quite reach the level of the CBT Nuggets for this exam.
    The Boson # 3 and PrepLogic Exam Sims are pretty good for your final preparation.

Oh and as an addition to Ten9t6's description of **** ... they are what people REMEMBER of their actual questions. I have discussed this subject with TCat Howser and Bob Shimonski after having found a copy that someone had left at an establishment where I sometimes study and test. Curiosity had me browsing over this **** with the head instructor and the CISSP security instructor - with the impression that as many as 50% of the questions/answers were wrong. Considering the exceptionally high pass mark needed for this exam using **** would be a good way to fail.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    As far as study materials goes - Tcat Howsers work comes highly recommended.

For my own curiosity, how do you pronounce Tcat?
  • Options
    Tee Cat
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Which book of Tcat are you talking about?

1-) ExamWise For Security+ Exam SY0-101
    by Tcat Houser
    ISBN: 1590952669

2-) InsideScoop to Security+ Technology Exam SY0-101
    by Tcat Houser
    ISBN: 1590952057

1 or 2 ?
  • Options
    I think the Inside Scoop is the full version - accompanied by the Test Sim.

TCat used to direct market that through alphageek productions. There is a free version still available, but that is really just the original draft for the Beta and is severely lacking.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    I also thought that it is InsideScoop as I read from the reviews.
    It looks like I need to buy my second book(InsideScoop to Security+) after Syngress.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Options
    GurmyGurmy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much to everyone for your help. I've alredy started to waching the topic for this exam. It's sure that i'll send some topic more to this foro because i can see that there are very nice people here.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Did someone read "ExamWise For Security+ Exam SY0-101 " by Tcat Houser ISBN: 1590952669
    I like the idea behind the book.The book has 450 questions and answers with explainations.What do you think about this book?Does it worth to buy?I couldn't find it in my local bookstore.The only chance is amazon for me.So I can not see the inside of the book.I can just decide be the help of the people who did already read it.In amazon,there are 2 reviews but they are not enought to have an idea about the book.The publish date is 2002.Is it a disadvantage?
  • Options
    If you have Inside Scoop I don't think you will need examwise.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    No,I don't have InsideScoop yet.I have only Syngress Security+.But instead of 2 pure theory books,I wanted to buy ExamWise and before making my final decision,I wanted to ask your opinions.Examwise is also Tcat.InsideScoop is from 2003.Examwise is from 2002.
    Is ExamWise worthless?
  • Options
    Not worthless, but not as up to date as the other.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Thank you for the tips RussS icon_cheers.gif

The price difference is not that big between these 2 books so I'll go with InsideScoop as everyone recommends and as I read good things about the book from the reviewers.