VMWare Certification

thenoble06thenoble06 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Quick question.

I'm currently looking for another job in IT - and I keep repeatedly getting asked if I have experience with VMware. We don't run VMWare at the place I currently work (we don't use Virtualisation at all) so I currently have to say no.

I've had a quick dig to see how I can get certified in VMWare and learn off my own back and it seems you HAVE to sit a classroom course to be able to sit the exam. Have I got that right, and you can't simply self study?

If the above is correct - I guess I'll have to go to the Microsoft route and learn about Hyper V, since (I guess) any knowledge of a Virtualisation platform is better than none?

Have I got all the above right?

Passed some exams. Failed others!

Comments

• VancouverTechieVancouverTechie Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Noble,

Yes, you need to take an approved VMware course and the exam to get your VCP certification.

Also, and it is just a suggestion. You might want to spell check your application or resume for the word Virtualization.

Virtualization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My wife is a recruiter and proper grammar is critical.

John
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    download ESXi Free and use it to setup a lab machine at work. Hardware compatibility may be an issue, but it is a place to start.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One note about the VMWare cert. Self study before the class is critical from what I've heard. The class is around $3K so you don't want to go in cold with no knowledge at all.
    Experience with any kind of virtualization today is critical. I have a Hyper-V lab set up and am preparing to set up an esxi lab as well just for the experience.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • thenoble06thenoble06 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, and it is just a suggestion. You might want to spell check your application or resume for the word Virtualization.

Ahhh interesting. I thought Virtualization was the US way of spelling it, and Virtualisation was the UK way. Like color and colour.

And since I don't have a spare 3k to spend on a course (actually I don't have £3k to spend on anything!) I'll go the Hyper V route first and get that experience.

Passed some exams. Failed others!
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thenoble06 wrote: »
    Ahhh interesting. I thought Virtualization was the US way of spelling it, and Virtualisation was the UK way. Like color and colour..
    You are right, both are correct - just depending on where you are from. I have UK colleagues who are very passionate about the 's' :)
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thenoble06 wrote: »
    Ahhh interesting. I thought Virtualization was the US way of spelling it, and Virtualisation was the UK way. Like color and colour.

And since I don't have a spare 3k to spend on a course (actually I don't have £3k to spend on anything!) I'll go the Hyper V route first and get that experience.
    Before giving up, look into taking the class at a school participating in the VMware Academy program (Participants list). You can potentially take the class for very cheap, though not many schools offer the ICM course yet (let alone any other courses).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV