Options

Anyone used Double-Take?

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
Curious if anyone had any experience with Double-Take software. Particularly, using it in a DR role converting P2V and V2P, and/or replicating VM's.

I've only used Symantec BESR in a test environment and it was pretty good.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, but looking at replacing with SAN to SAN replication.

What kind of questions do you have?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    We use double-take on our micros server at one of our sites.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Yes, but looking at replacing with SAN to SAN replication.

What kind of questions do you have?

Do you like it for P2V and V2P? Does it do a baremetal restore without fuss?

What capacity do you use it in? What do you like about it? Dislike about it?
  • Options
    brad- wrote: »
    Do you like it for P2V and V2P? Does it do a baremetal restore without fuss?

What capacity do you use it in? What do you like about it? Dislike about it?

Most are P2V, one P2P, and one V2V. P2P is to similar hardware. Using the the Full-Server failover option. Everything on the Source server is replicated to the target server. When you failover settings are applied the the target becomes the source. Works OK, but if it fails, you might have something usable might not.

Using it to replicate to a remote DR site.

OK if it is a couple of servers. I little harder to manage with 10 servers.

one problem I am seeing is with failover testing. Failover and testing works fine, better as we install updates. After done with testing, need to rebuild the target. remove from domain, uninstall Double-take, rename, new sid, fix IP settings etc. Recreate the connection and remirror. After a couple of these, target servers start to become unstable. almost need to refresh.
    Andy

• Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We're using Never Fail for replication, and I'm not impressed with it at all. I wasn't involved in the process of researching the options available, but I did ask my boss after the fact about Double-Take and apparently it was too expensive. We got Never Fail and they failed to mention a few important things, like it can't be used to replicate domain controllers. And for replicating file servers, you have to purchase a separate addon for that (which they said was included during the original discussions).

We haven't setup our backup servers at the backup site yet (thank God it's in town, not in Dallas like we originally planned), but when we do I foresee many trips to fix things when stuff should've automatically failed over. icon_sad.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    arwes wrote: »
    We're using Never Fail for replication, and I'm not impressed with it at all. I wasn't involved in the process of researching the options available, but I did ask my boss after the fact about Double-Take and apparently it was too expensive. We got Never Fail and they failed to mention a few important things, like it can't be used to replicate domain controllers. And for replicating file servers, you have to purchase a separate addon for that (which they said was included during the original discussions).

We haven't setup our backup servers at the backup site yet (thank God it's in town, not in Dallas like we originally planned), but when we do I foresee many trips to fix things when stuff should've automatically failed over. icon_sad.gif

Double-take is expensive. A couple of thousand per server pair.

Tried using Platespins Power Convert for some servers at first to save money. Worked inhouse but failed over the WAN.
    Andy