Learning Perl

EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of teaching myself Perl and I wanted to recommend those who are interested in the language check out the book Learning Perl by Randal Schwartz, Tom Phoenix, and Brian Foy. The authors do a great job of keeping the content interesting, comparing the programming concepts to things a non-programmer would understand, and the exercises at the end of the book are thoroughly explained in the appendix.

I have no association with the publishing company or the authors. I am simply extremely pleased with the way this book was put together, so I figured I would communicate my experience to the TE community.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was just thinking about that today. Good find!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think the disclaimer is necessary. The O'Reilly PERL books have an amazing reputation. You realize that's just the tip of the iceberg, and you have several others to get into after that, right? ;)
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dyn -
    I'm in the middle of reworking our security policy with our legal department, and I'm beginning to preface everything I say with disclaimers. The vacation can't come soon enough!

As for more reading material, I was surfing Amazon today and saw at least another ten books by O'Reilly about Perl. It looks like I have some serious reading ahead of me!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    These three will do the majority of it: YouTube - Mastering Perl

I do like the cookbooks, wicked cool scripts, etc. books as well because they put the language into practice. For a challenge, try to do the recipe, script, or whatever in advance and see how close you were to their solution.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Once you get past the Camel and Llama check these out:

Amazon.com: Automating System Administration with Perl: Tools to Make You More…

Amazon.com: Perl for System Administration: Managing…

Perl is simply an amazing language and is not just for Unix/Linux geeks. Before I got into PoSh I used it to change file/folder permissions on nearly 1 TB of user data in a domain migration. I also managed to trash my own laptop with it while testing (fdisk, format, reinstall, all the doodah day), but you live and you learn!
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I'll check out the resources suggested.