Options

Laptop randomly turning on

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I rarely actually shut my laptop down. It is usually in hybernate, but sometimes sleeping too. Recently it has started to wake up. I was sleeping next to it, and woke up to it running with the lid closed. I assumed that I had bumped something and started it.

But today it was on my desk when I woke up. Hybernated at about midnight. My phone rang at 6:00 and it was still off. When my alarm went off at 7:00, it was on. Sounded like virus behavior so I ran a full scan that found nothing.

I had a similar problem with my old laptop. It would sleep, but then wake up 30 seconds later. This ended up being because of the power settings which were set to keep from sleeping when sharing media.

Any ideas?

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like a ghost to me. Time for a exorcism.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    It is possible that "Wake-On-Lan" is enabled somewhere in the BIOS?
  • Options
    It is possible that "Wake-On-Lan" is enabled somewhere in the BIOS?

It could be, but why would this have just started 3 days ago?

I have it completely shut off while I'm at work today. If it is on when I get home, heads will roll.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a ghost to me. Time for a exorcism.

Voting this. Call up T.A.P.S and have them bring the show out to investigate.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    jwedlundjwedlund Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Voting this. Call up T.A.P.S and have them bring the show out to investigate.

i second this vote if the laptop is on when u return home
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    It could be, but why would this have just started 3 days ago?

I have it completely shut off while I'm at work today. If it is on when I get home, heads will roll.

Do you have a cat? :)

icon_mike.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Do you have a cat? :)

icon_mike.gif

If the cat can open the lid, turn the computer on, and then close it while keeping the computer on, I'm selling him on ebay. Then I can go retire.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    LoL. I think your laptop is haunted !!!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If the cat can open the lid, turn the computer on, and then close it while keeping the computer on, I'm selling him on ebay. Then I can go retire.

You were wasted and never really turned it officon_confused.gif:

It's just an ideaicon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    You were wasted and never really turned it officon_confused.gif:

I rarely drink, and have never been wasted.

Not that I remember at leasticon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You were drunk on ghosts. You need to see a parapsychologist to see what is causing you to binge on paranormal ectoplasm. I wonder if Dr. Venkman is taking appointments...
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I rarely drink, and have never been wasted.

Not that I remember at leasticon_scratch.gif

icon_lol.gif

If you don't remember it never happen.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd vote for the Wake On LAN setting in BIOS. Just boot into the CMOS menu and see what it's set as just to humor us, icon_razz.gif.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Any ideas?

Do you have your AV set for scheduled scans?
  • Options

lol

Mine probably could....and if I told him he 'couldn't do it' he'd find a way
    (so you think he could make some money on e-bay
    icon_thumright.gif)

I've seen some strange things with Windows XP and hibernate...but mostly prior to SP2 (and tweaking power management)

Windows 7 Sleep Problems | Hibernate Troubleshooting

Otherwise, perhaps you selected 'hibernate' and accidently the drop-down flipped to 'restart'?? and it just wasn't noticed until the next day. I've done this with my Mac and on a could Windows PC with (sensative) wheel mice.

I'm leaning toward isolated incident...unless you can recreate it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    egb893egb893 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had the same problem with two of my systems both Win7 64 bit. It started happening about 3 weeks ago. I think I disabled wake on LAN and changed the settings of windows update. I haven't noticed it since.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hum.... 2 of the 3 lights on my new laptop lit, and one flickered for a bit, a few minutes ago -- and it's shutdown, not sleeping or hibernating. icon_scratch.gif

I'm thinking it could be thunderstorms and/or static generated by the icon_cat.gif trying to climb into my lap :D

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 1764 -- WOL disabled.

I think I'd rather have the haunted laptop issue rather than my daily 5:16 am power spike.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for providing some real answers :p

It turned on at 6:02 today. I opened the lid and closed it, and it went to sleep. A few seconds later it booted up again. So I opened and closed again, and the same thing happened.

So I grab it and start to tinker, and since I had been on extended battery time last night, it got low enoughg and hibernated on me. So I closed it and went back to bed. When I went to use it today, it had apparently turned back on, and was now dead and I was notified that I improperly shut it down.

I checked WOL settings in the device manger, disabled on both network adaptors. I went into mouse, keyboard, and IR devices, and also made it so that they cannot wake the computer up.

I then went through every scheduled task, and any task that had permission to wake the computer up has been modified to not do so.

I'll restart later and check bios settings for WoL.
  • Options
    So far so good, it hasn't turned on since.
  • Options
    icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If it happens when your computer is off, there is a setting in your BIOS that can be enabled and set to automatically turn on at a certain time, I use it on my computer. Make sure it is not on.

If it happens when your computer is powered on, look at any automation scripts that you may have scheduled running (or that a virus may have put in).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it may have been possessed! Have you contacted that exorcist yet?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    At about 6:20 I woke up to my laptop being on... I went over to investigate and it turned off. I think I caught it while it was going from sleep to hibernate.