Got a job.

cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been searching for months & finally got a full-time position. Not much, but it's a start! I will be making 13 an hour at GeekSquad City; Not the one in the stores, it's the main hub where all of the PC's & Laptops get fixed. I interviewed for three help-desk positions & they said I was not "experienced" enough. So, I will have to use this job as a stepping stone. Good news about GeekSquad City: Tuition reimbursements, 401K, Great Insurance, Paid Training, Oh, and they have a game room with a pool table, ping pong table, XBOX, Wii, lol Geek Squad City Tour That's the tour of the place :) Looks like a pretty good place to work for. I had to go through a series of interviews: Phone, HR, Manager, General Manager interviews, ugh, it was a drooling process.

I'm 22 years old & will be finishing my Associates Degree in Network Administration in September. After that, I plan on continuing my education at WGU to try & nab that Bachelors degree(Tuition Reimbursement) I will be trying for the CCNA again in September; Failed it once icon_sad.gif

I will be starting out as a PC Tech. This is my first full-time job. I'm excited to get started on August 9th...Woohoo!
A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was just in your city last week. The GSC techs are very good. Cool beans man. Use that experience well, it will take you very far. I actually wanted too work at GSC but the requirements were just to much. I'm glad for you!
  • cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I was just in your city last week. The GSC techs are very good. Cool beans man. Use that experience well, it will take you very far. I actually wanted too work at GSC but the requirements were just to much. I'm glad for you!

Interesting that you come all the way from Ohio to interview for a job. Are you southern Ohio? What was your opinion of the company? To me, it looks like a good one. Every time I tell people Geek Squad City, they think "Oh, they're crap, aren't you more qualified" Then I have to explain.

What position were you looking to get into? A Senior Agent? Did you see the game room? lol, I was like "What!?"

Thanks, man. I'm going to take advantage of it. Actually, I know somebody that's in charge of the Data Recovery at GSC & they start out at 19 an hour, so I might try to move into that department.

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I worked at a store. I hated it but GSC looked pretty cool. I am close to CincyTucky now. The data restore techs get paid well. Hell data restore people get paid well pretty much everywhere. I haven't been out there I just saw pictures and talked to the people. At the time I only had A+ and they wanted A+. N+, S+, Ser+ and/or CCNA and/or MCSE and a degree. It was pretty insane.
    knwminus wrote: »
    I worked at a store. I hated it but GSC looked pretty cool. I am close to CincyTucky now. The data restore techs get paid well. Hell data restore people get paid well pretty much everywhere. I haven't been out there I just saw pictures and talked to the people. At the time I only had A+ and they wanted A+. N+, S+, Ser+ and/or CCNA and/or MCSE and a degree. It was pretty insane.

Ah, gotcha. True that, which is why I want to get into it; Plus, it's interesting. See, I guess this is where it's about 'Who you know' Because, my aunt knows the H.R Manager at GSC & she kinda 'pulled' some strings to get me an interview. Because, I had put in four applications & never got a call back.. I talk to her, next day I get called back. Funny how that works. I'm very excited. Crappy thing is I have to dress up in dress clothes & I'm not even interacting with customers. But, they do provide the work/dress clothes.

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the Job!! icon_cheers.gif
    Oh, and they have a game room with a pool table, ping pong table, XBOX, Wii
    It's a TRAP!!! They want you to get fat and lazy playing games so that you never want to leave and they never have to hire and train a replacement for you.

Each minute you spend in the game room is a minute you could have spent studying for anther certification or working on your degree -- and is another minute longer you'll have have to work there. icon_lol.gif

It sounds like a good place to launch your career -- so make sure you get your Aunt an extra special Birthday or Christmas present this year. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Is this your first job in IT? Certainly have enough certs to get your self a help desk type position. Keep at it man I rolled the dice on my second IT job with a 6 month contract as a installation tech and ended up getting promoted twice with in 5 months to a network engineer hired on full time and loving every minute of it icon_cheers.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the Job!! icon_cheers.gif

It's a TRAP!!! They want you to get fat and lazy playing games so that you never want to leave and they never have to hire and train a replacement for you.

Each minute you spend in the game room is a minute you could have spent studying for anther certification or working on your degree -- and is another minute longer you'll have have to work there. icon_lol.gif

It sounds like a good place to launch your career -- so make sure you get your Aunt an extra special Birthday or Christmas present this year. :D

Thank You, Mikej! I was thinking it was a trap, but that trap isn't going to stop me :P I plan on moving into the help-desk side of things next, then maybe a Jr. Network position. I know passing the CCNA will help me a great deal. I don't plan on staying there forever, because PC/Laptop repair will become monotonous. This is my stepping stone & I'm going to take full advantage!

lol...Will do, she told me today "When first paycheck comes around, you're taking me out to eat" haha, But, I'll be sure to get her something nice :)

"Each minute you spend in the game room is a minute you could have spent studying for anther certification or working on your degree -- and is another minute longer you'll have have to work there. icon_lol.gif"

^^^Those are very motivating words! So true.

VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Is this your first job in IT? Certainly have enough certs to get your self a help desk type position. Keep at it man I rolled the dice on my second IT job with a 6 month contract as a installation tech and ended up getting promoted twice with in 5 months to a network engineer hired on full time and loving every minute of it icon_cheers.gif

Yes, sir, this is my first full-time job & IT; Is this really considered an IT job? I tried help-desk, and that's where I expected to start, but I was told "lack of experience". They said my certifications were impressive, but what are certs without experience? So, I had to start even lower, which is fine with me.

Keep at it man I rolled the dice on my second IT job with a 6 month contract as a installation tech and ended up getting promoted twice with in 5 months to a network engineer hired on full time and loving every minute of it icon_cheers.gif

Congratulations, sir! Glad to hear that. This, too, is very inspiring.

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Congrats.

Thanks, Sir!