Options

Bank of America's Online Banking website down

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I pay my bills exclusive through this website. My mortgage in particular, and I had to phone that in and then demand they waive whatever fee they charge for that, since that is also held by Bank of America. Since I have a checking account, mortgage and credit card through them, I am considered a preferred customer, so they were going to waive it anyway, and never charge me the fee if I am going to pay via phone. I pretty much prefer paying online anyway, since when it works, it is the most convenient.

Now, I call the Online Banking hotline to find out what the heck is going on, and the CSR tells me I have to wait an hour and a half while they perform an update. An UPDATE?! When I have to perform an update, we usually have a notice on our website days in advance and it's usually performed during a time where there will be minimum downtime, as we're a 24x7 shop. This isn't an update; something went down! In my shop, and I would imagine yours, we have redundant systems to minimize this kind of thing from occuring. Whoever is running that shop over in BOA needs to be fired! To be down for 2-3 hours when you have 1000s of customers (I'm presuming) who have to make payments isn't exactly inspiring confidence to remain a Bank of America customer. When my account is back online and I'm done doing what I need to do, I am definitely going to write the CEO and CIO of Bank of America to express my displeasure. If this were my shop, it would be my neck.

I understand things go wrong, but BOA is a multi-million dollar company. They really have no excuse.

Thanks for reading my rant. :)

Comments

• Options
    Back up now. I'm still pissed.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I understand things go wrong, but BOA is a multi-million dollar company. They really have no excuse.

$*** happens, we all know that. A large company being down for 2-3 hours during the peak hours is no good. You would think that they would have backup servers backing up the backup servers and so forth. Somebody will probably lose a job over it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    My wife generally tries to pay the bills on Saturday nights and the majority of the time she finds the BofA site down for maintenance. Seems to be a regularly scheduled thing with them. I've found it pretty surprising.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    $*** happens, we all know that. A large company being down for 2-3 hours during the peak hours is no good. You would think that they would have backup servers backing up the backup servers and so forth. Somebody will probably lose a job over it.

Seriously, I agree. There are so many hungry IT professionals out there that are dying to be that guy who would not f--- up so that they can continue to be thankful for having a job. Also, my boss is HUGE on redundancy, and hot, warm and cold sites, and many other disaster recovery terms she read about on CIO magazine. LOL. She would have my ayce in a sling for sure if this was my system that was down for 2-3 hours (along with the server admin folks for not looking at the servers...but I am the first line of defense....I'm supposed to know when stuff is down, and 9-10 times out of 10, I do and it's resolved in minutes, not hours).
    undomiel wrote: »
    My wife generally tries to pay the bills on Saturday nights and the majority of the time she finds the BofA site down for maintenance. Seems to be a regularly scheduled thing with them. I've found it pretty surprising.

Your wife needs to join me in my letter writing campaign to both the CEO and CIO. I will spend some time digging for that later and post it here. I am not even looking for something for free....just something stating that they will try not to have this happen again. Otherwise, I will go to the next guy. I do have a Chase account, but I don't use it. It took over Wamu...lol. And I am sure they don't want to lose my business. LOL. If many other people who are customers did the same thing, it would have weight, for sure.
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure if relavent but I also got an email today that my BoA check card had been compromised and click link to verify purchases. The funny part is that is not the email I use for banking and I do not have an account with BoA
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mbarra wrote: »
    Not sure if relavent but I also got an email today that my BoA check card had been compromised and click link to verify purchases. The funny part is that is not the email I use for banking and I do not have an account with BoA
    I hope you can recognise scam/phishing emails :P
  • Options
    Well, I found the people I am going to be mailing my letter.

Brian T. Moynihan
    President and Chief Executive Officer, Bank of America Corporation

Catherine P. Bessant
    Global Technology and Operations Executive, Bank of America Corporation

Catherine P. Bessant is Global Technology and Operations executive at Bank of America, responsible for delivering end-to-end technology and operations across the company. She is also responsible for enterprise transitions, quality and change management.

I found that little bit laughable. My scathing letters is getting sent out tomorrow. I am even going to spend a couple of bucks on certified mail and a return receipt. Will be sending it to Moynihan and copying Bessant. Here is the address:

<Inseert one of the two's name here>
    Bank of America CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS
    100 North Tryon Street
    Charlotte, North Carolina 28255

It probably will be a waste of time and energy, but I really am pissed. LOL. It's better than going down to Charlotte and getting postal...lmao.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    I hope you can recognise scam/phishing emails :P

Dear Sir Tiersten,

Sadly, phishing is hurting in the US do to the golf oil spill. No jobs, soon starvation. A nation in crisis and no bank website. How too pay bills with none website!?

Good news! The country of South America bank has extra money for America bank. Boats with money for restoring website have been sent two yore shores. Again, sadly, BP has halted are ships with evil oil.

BP has ruined the golf and financial industrys. But you can save your countries bank. Provide us kindly with your name, address, bank account and routing number and mothers unwed name and we will transfer funds for you to give too America Bank. You will be bestowed upon $10,000 for your assistence in this urgent matter of critical importance. Essential haste is most important.

With most genuine sincerity,
    Presidant, bank of South America

P.S. You will also be eligible for a lifetime supply of c1alis.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    You will be bestowed upon $10,000 for your assistence in this urgent matter of critical importance. Essential haste is most important.
    Obviously a fake email since YOU HAVEN'T SPELT OUT THE AMOUNT IN CAPITALS.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Obviously a fake email since YOU HAVEN'T SPELT OUT THE AMOUNT IN CAPITALS.

Deer Sire,

Concern is supremely admirable. I am glad you are serious as we are about this atrocity. You are mistaken however as we do communicate to the countries standards. I understand your worry yet South america keyboards cannot capital numbers. I offer ultimate assurance that we proposing $10,000 or $!),))) if more sense to you. Please procede with haste.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    The country of South America

Many people may not even find anything wrong with this expression.