Simple RIP configuration gone bad?

StigmatasStigmatas Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Would anyone mind telling me why I can't ping corp from r4?
Network+ > ICND1 > ICND2 > ?

<-- No degree

Network+ = 11/18/08 DONE

Comments

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't looked at the word docs, but if the image is correct, R4's fa0/0 and R3's fa0/1 are on different subnets. I can't tell from the image the rest of the addresses on the various interfaces. I'll check out the docs attached and edit if necessary.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Check your subnets. And the debug command is your friend.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can R4 even ping R3? It's directly connected so RIP shouldn't even be involved at that point.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • StigmatasStigmatas Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did debug ip packet had two errors.
    One I could fix and the other I could not.
    first one was a...unroutable error.
    That was fixed with a default route to the interface.
    Still couldn't ping after the static route was in place.
    The second was a encapsulation failed. I read on a couple of sites, that has to do with arp.
    I cleared arp-cache on all the routers and tried again. to end up the same place where I started.
    Not being able to ping r3 to r4.

My initial thoughts was that it was the cross over cables fault, for not being a serial cable. I had ripv2 with no auto-summary enabled across the entire network as well that didn't work.

on every router the network statement reads 10.0.0.0 if you are saying I'm on a diff subnet.. ill check and double check that right now. I just don't see how..

Inside of router rip, I could put in 10.20.30.0, 10.1.0.0, or anything else starting with 10... and it would still default to 10.0.0.0 for my network statement in show run. Why does it do that?
    It would be the only thing that makes sense?

<-- No degree

Network+ = 11/18/08 DONE
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Stigmatas wrote: »
    on every router the network statement reads 10.0.0.0 if you are saying I'm on a diff subnet..
    The subnet masks on the interface configurations have a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask -- which matches the /24s on your diagram.

10.1.12.0/24 is a different network from 10.1.11.0/24 and 10.1.5.0/24 and 10.1.2.0/24. <hint hint hint hint> That's why I asked if R4 could even ping R3. <hint hint hint hint>

At some point you might have an issue with RIP Version 1, even with the ip classless statement in your configuration. That's where changing to RIP Version 2 could fix a problem if a router thinks that any of the 10.x.x.x networks can be reached out out any old 10.x.x.x interface.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • StigmatasStigmatas Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for not outright giving me the answer.
    I was trying to work a lab from out of the book. Only to now realize the scheme is wrong for RIPx. I could ping anywhere on the map accept to and from r4.

PROBLEM FIXED! DING DING
    sh arp shows you who is correctly configured on your network. If you don't see your neighboring router, something is wrong.
    realizing from an earlier lab... the link between routers is the network, and each port has to be on that.

I changed r4 fa0/0 to 10.1.11.2 255.255.255.0.

Ty fellas. Mike, Berm, phoen.

v/r

<-- No degree

Network+ = 11/18/08 DONE
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    OSI is your friend. Check physical, the data link, then network.