Options

Using External Display only on Vista Business Laptop

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I know some may say this is better suited for the Vista Forum but noone ever visits those forums.
I have a laptop that after my daughter broke the screen for the second time I just hooked an external display to it and removed the screen. It has Vista Business. I currently have it set to use the external display using Windows Mobility Center but te problem is that I have to occasionally go back and do the resetting for it. I've checked on the internet through various forums and this problem seems to be the norm.
Is there a way I could change a registry key or something to make using the external monitor only permanent?
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Is there a BIOS setting to change the laptop's external video port to be the primary video display?
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what is the make / model of the laptop?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    No, already checked that.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Acer Aspire, If I can't fix this I'll probably just toss it.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I assume key rotation is not an option? Most laptops rotate with the Fn key plus screen key. one press ext on int off; two press ext on int on; three press ext off int on.

I am guessing that in the normal use of the Fn that it might be getting rotated to internal only since with an external monitor your field of vision would change to no view of your hands as you type.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    fn-screen doesn't seem to work with this POS cheap laptop. It only gets used anymore when my daughter has her friends over (so they can both do facebook or whatever at the same time) and I usually have to redo the mobility center setting every couple of weeks.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There should be a sensor that tells the computer whether the lid is open or closed. If you find it and rig up a way for the computer to believe that the screen is always closed, it should default to the external screen.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    What devilsbane said.

I have a toshiba with a smashed screen. I leave it in my TV stand hooked to the TV. I changed the action for "lid close" to do nothing and switched the monitor to external only and left it.
  • Options
    Still having same issue. The external display will only work in safe made now. For some reason mobility center is not detecting the external display. I've been trying to correct the issue via RDP since it doesn't have a screen and I can't do any fixing while in safe mode.
    Why would the laptop not detect the external screen?
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    and the difference between safe mode and normal mode is...

drivers.

My next swag is the driver treats the displays like two monitors on a desktop and has one turned off. Given that; the option to duplicate the desktop on both monitors has to be set OR re-identify which is monitor 1, if that can be done via RDP.

[edit] Going back to your original message where you said "I removed the screen", I am more confident that this is the issue. The internal screen is not detected so in safe mode the hardware does the right thing. In normal mode the driver is a little stupid and makes the assumption that the internal screen exists. Keyboard rotation does not work because that is a hardware function. The driver is a software function and refuses to send a video signal until you tell it too in the driver options by right clicking on the desktop and going to display preferences.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Shows only 1 monitor (when RDPing) and below it says "(Default monitor) on RDPDD chained DD"
    I've reinstalled the driver for the external monitor. In safe mode I don't have the option of choosing monitors and when I'm RDPing I apparently don't see the external monitor. In normal mode the external monitor just displays "cable not connected"
    aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    RDP wont recognize the fact that there are multiple monitors unless you are using a later version (7 i think)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    In normal mode the external monitor just displays "cable not connected"
    aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Sounds like its time to Office Space it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Yeah. I could use that monitor to finally have dual moitors here in my office.
  • Options
    I need an adapter (DVI-VGA) to hook up the second monitor. I'm going office space on the old f'd up laptop with a 5# sledge hammer later today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I need an adapter (DVI-VGA) to hook up the second monitor. I'm going office space on the old f'd up laptop with a 5# sledge hammer later today.

Please record this for us. I would like video evidence posted by the end of the day.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Does the Windows Key + P work on Vista or is that just a 7 thing?
  • Options
    Damn, file's too big. Just did my office space on my laptop. Now I have multi monitors on my dsektop. What I was missing..man