Options

ISIS Case Study

IOS2JUNOSIOS2JUNOS Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
In this case study R5 is in area 0003 and needs to Level1 peer with r6 and r7 which is area 0002. How can you peer at L1 in two different areas. i'm sure i missed something obivous here..i'm new to isis

Thank you in advance..

Comments

• Options
    i added a second net address to lo0 on r5 and now i can see adjacency to r6 and r7..is this the correct way to do this?
  • Options
    hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Which requirement is this... Can you post the question and the page number... I don't quite think that is the idea behind the casestudy
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Options
    It's the ISIS case study page 320-321. on 321 case study analysis
    " To get basic IS-IS connectivity going, you must add the iso family to the correct logical units on all IS-IS interfaces"

I can't get the basic connectivity going as r5 is area 0003 and need to peer with r6 and r7 at level1 which are in area 0001
  • Options
    hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    R5,R6,R7 are in area 49.0001
    R1,R2,R3,R4 are in area 49.0002

You do not have to put any router in area 49.0003... It is understood that R4,R3 and R5 are L2 capable routers
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Yup, what hoogen said :)

I remember going through this and it was a real eye opener on how ISIS works with different areas. For L2 adjacencies to work you only need the interface in L2, the area ID doesn't need to match. For L1 adjacencies to work you need the interface running L1 and the area ID must match.

Truth be told though it was somewhat deceptive to put area 49.0003 in the diagram, but it really makes ya think :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Definately made me think. Thanks for clarifying this guys..