Options

New CCNP books

2»

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any updated reviews on the Foundation books over the Certification guides for CCNP? I am trying to figure out which ones I want to buy and I'm leaning very strongly towards the foundation ROUTE, SWITCH and TSHOOT set. I work for an ISP and use just about everything that is reportedly covered in these books and it seems like they would make a great desk reference as well as a good certification prep.

I've heard they don't come with a PDF or other electronic copy - which sucks...do they come with any electronic content at all.....Practice Questions, Study Guides, etc?
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    They come with a limited Safari online access. The self study books are good if you want the extra little details that go beyond the requirements of the exam. The only book I've been heard problems with is the SWITCH OEG, which is why I went with the foundation self study material.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Well I ordered Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide today along with a copy of Network Warrior from Amazon. I'm very interested in the IPv6 info that's in this book. I will most likely be working on an IPv6 through v4 tunnel project in the near future and would like to get a head start on the nitty gritty of v6 addressing and v6 OSPF.
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    My Foundation Learning Library came in the post today and whats funny is that the ROUTE book is 900 pages (of content) and the SWITCH book weighs in at around 490 pages or something... I think the TSHOOT one is even smaller!

If the page count difference is any indicator of the difficulty gap then I'm in real trouble icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lrb wrote: »
    My Foundation Learning Library came in the post today and whats funny is that the ROUTE book is 900 pages (of content) and the SWITCH book weighs in at around 490 pages or something... I think the TSHOOT one is even smaller!

If the page count difference is any indicator of the difficulty gap then I'm in real trouble icon_wink.gif

Someone here on TE has a signature that reads something along the lines... "it's not the amount of pages in the book that's important, its the content of the words" I may have butchered that quote, but that's the gist of it! icon_lol.gif

Don't worry about the page count... it should be very good reading for you... if I'm successful in my SWITCH attempt tomorrow... check that... WHEN I'm successful on my SWITCH exam tomorrow, I'm going to take the rest of the day off and dive into the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide head on! Best of luck to you in your studies!!!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Just got my ROUTE foundation guide in last night along with a copy of Network Warrior. I am ready to dive in! 944 pages of everything you never wanted to know about routing :)
  • Options
    Just got my ROUTE foundation guide in last night along with a copy of Network Warrior. I am ready to dive in! 944 pages of everything you never wanted to know about routing :)

Have fun!!! I just passed the SWITCH exam today and I'm now waiting on my ROUTE FLG to come in the mail.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Awesome! Congrats man...I hear that one is a beast. Can't wait to tackle it though. I'm hoping I can take the ROUTE exam by December and start studying for SWITCH in January.
  • Options
    Awesome! Congrats man...I hear that one is a beast. Can't wait to tackle it though. I'm hoping I can take the ROUTE exam by December and start studying for SWITCH in January.

It was a difficult exam, but manageable. The point that I've been stressing about the exam is attention to detail... I think the FLG is a great resource for the SWITCH... but I'll stress again... pay very close attention to detail.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker