Options

At this point should I even bother starting MCSE? Is MCITP now looked for by HR?

Since obtaining my Network+ last summer I have been waffling on what to do with my career and whether to leave IT. Ive come to the realization that after 5+ years of IT experience, A.S. in Computer Networking/IT and Network+ that I have too much invested and with my salary in the mid $50's, anything else will drop me down in income and I'll have to start over. So for now I'm going to stay in IT and build my cert profile while adding a BS in Business Administration so I can move up to management. Plus I love IT.

So with MCSE 2003 as old as it is, for someone who hasn't even started yet, would you recommend even starting or go onto the MCITP path. Also I know MCSE was one of the de facto requirements on a lot of mid to upper level job listings and I was wondering whether HR/recruiters have picked up on the MCITP and started listing that instead and also do they realize that it is the newer version of the MCSE?

I'm not in a position to knock out the MCSE certs in quick fashion so I am worried about the tests being sunsetted while I am in progress.

Thanks for the input!
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This topic has been debated all over these forums. It has been in both the MS section (under multiple boards) as well as in the general secion. If you would look 7 threads down from yours, you will find this one. http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2003-general/54729-stop-mcsa-keep-going-mcse.html It should cover all that you are wanting to know.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you do now?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This topic has been debated all over these forums. It has been in both the MS section (under multiple boards) as well as in the general secion. If you would look 7 threads down from yours, you will find this one. http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2003-general/54729-stop-mcsa-keep-going-mcse.html It should cover all that you are wanting to know.

Yes I read that thread however my situation is quite different and I have different circumstances than the OP in that thread.

Also I've read the threads in the past on the topic and they are too old to be relevant, ie, starting now or in a few months.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    What do you do now?

Right now I am in a Identity and Access Management role. In short I deal with provisioning access via AD/web interface, AD account maintenance, granting network access rights to shares, email provisioning including maintenance and new account/DL creation, Oracle record maintenance, and some other AD/security related functions.

I also have several years of level II desktop support, network and server administration, and systems engineering work.

If I go to move to a more networking based role I will have to probably take a step down in job/pay and I'm not willing to do that at this point. I'll eventually add in a CCNA and try to pick up experience with it in addition to current roles but I will not step down to a entry level NOC job or Jr Network Admin at a 30% paycut.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think that HR people look for those four magic letters when they're scanning resumes for keywords. There are a few companies that have told me to give them a call once I have the MCSE because they want to know that I've at least seen all the stuff on the test.

The MCITP isn't going anywhere but the MCSE is eventually. I think getting it now before end of life has been announced will help you in the long run. If you don't have the time to study or don't see much value in knowing the old software then you'll have a tough time of it. I roll my eyes when I'm reading about how to handle Windows 98 and Windows NT 4 servers.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    The MCSE has more value than the MCITP right now. Everyone knows the name, and the 7 tests have scared off more than one person. Server 2003 is also the backbone of most networks.

That being said, the MCITP is a newer technology, and only requires 4 test. 4 tests saves time and money.

The other advantage to getting MCSE now, is that it is available. You could always choose to go MCITP later, but if you do that first then MCSE likely won't be available. (at least long enough for you to complete the entire thing)

If you work hard and study lots, you should easily be able to get the MCSE in before it expires. (which has not been announced) If you don't have that much time, you could stop at the MCSA and then go to MCITP, MCSA+MCITP is surely better than MCITP alone.

All of these points have been discussed on this forum, if not in that thread then another one.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Assuming you mean MCITP:Enterprise Administrator.

Since you are worried about how long the exams will take you, start with the Windows 7 exam, 70-680. It counts for the client portion of MCITP:EA, MCSA, and MCSE. Once you finish that exam figure out your next step.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    The MCSE has more value than the MCITP right now. Everyone knows the name, and the 7 tests have scared off more than one person. Server 2003 is also the backbone of most networks.

That being said, the MCITP is a newer technology, and only requires 4 test. 4 tests saves time and money.

The other advantage to getting MCSE now, is that it is available. You could always choose to go MCITP later, but if you do that first then MCSE likely won't be available. (at least long enough for you to complete the entire thing)

If you work hard and study lots, you should easily be able to get the MCSE in before it expires. (which has not been announced) If you don't have that much time, you could stop at the MCSA and then go to MCITP, MCSA+MCITP is surely better than MCITP alone.

All of these points have been discussed on this forum, if not in that thread then another one.

Thanks for the advice. Yea the reason I decided to start a new thread and not post in the older threads is more to due with the time that has elapsed. Its now months and even a year since I read some of those debate threads. I just wonder when the EOL is for the MCSE exams. I really would like to get the MCSE due to name recognition but If I start now at the rate of 1 test every 2 months or so then will I be left with 4 or 5 of the tests done and no MCSE?
  • Options
    texasittexasit Member Posts: 147

The MCITP requires 5 tests not 4. The MCSE is more recognizable than the MCITP since the MCITP is new.The difference is the MCSE is on 2003 server and the MCITP EA is on 2008 server. I would suggest the MCITP path since 2008 is being used more and more as time goes by.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MS usually gives about six months notice and that hasn't come yet. If you're halfway there or more whenever MS announces then just speed up your pace to finish. They don't typically just retire a test with no notice. You should have time. If nothing else get the MCSA first so that you'll have that finished first.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    MS usually gives about six months notice and that hasn't come yet. If you're halfway there or more whenever MS announces then just speed up your pace to finish. They don't typically just retire a test with no notice. You should have time. If nothing else get the MCSA first so that you'll have that finished first.

did they change their policy? Used to be a year.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    texasit wrote: »
    The MCITP requires 5 tests not 4.

Thanks for the correction. MCITP:EA is 5 tests. MCITP:SA is 3 tests.

Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »

That is the great thing about the MCSA/MCSE path. Start with the MCSA. Once you get that, you can reanalyze the situation and decide whether to continue.
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    did they change their policy? Used to be a year.
    I have never read an official policy from them. I always thought that they reserved the right to end a test at any time for any reason.
  • Options

Since you are worried about how long the exams will take you, start with the Windows 7 exam, 70-680. It counts for the client portion of MCITP:EA, MCSA, and MCSE. Once you finish that exam figure out your next step.

Good advice, except I would do it backwards. Get the 70-290 and 70-291 (and maybe even 293, 294, elective if you want to) out of the way. Then if they do retire those exams all of a sudden, you can still get your MCSA (or MCSE if you did the 293, 294, and an elective) by passing the 680.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Yea the reason I decided to start a new thread and not post in the older threads is more to due with the time that has elapsed. Its now months and even a year since I read some of those debate threads. I just wonder when the EOL is for the MCSE exams. I really would like to get the MCSE due to name recognition but If I start now at the rate of 1 test every 2 months or so then will I be left with 4 or 5 of the tests done and no MCSE?

Given your experience, I'm sure you could knock out 290/291/680 before six months are up. They gave at least 10 months notice on 70-285 being retired. Start now. By the time they announce exam retirements, you'll be done or almost done, guaranteed. And from there it's just two more exams (647/649) til your MCITP.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all of the advice, it's much appreciated.

After looking again at Microsoft's site I am confident that the 290/291 are not going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm going to go ahead and knock out my A+ within the next month so I can have the elective for the MCSA done. Then I'll tackle the 680 since that should not be hard for me either. I'll go ahead and do the 290/291 to complete the MCSA and then go on and complete the MCSE.

I've seen that MS has not been EOLing the exams very much, only the ones that are really outdated.

After looking around at job listings and hearing from other members I see the MCSE is still much more known in recruiting circles and I think the MCITP will not catch on until some time after the MCSE is completely EOL'd.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »

I'm going to go ahead and knock out my A+ within the next month so I can have the elective for the MCSA done.

Given your experience and current job duties, A+ seems like a waste of $250. It's not going to make the journey to MCSE any faster since it doesn't count as an elective. If you really want that MCSA intermediate step, choose an elective that will count for both MCSE and MCSA.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Given your experience and current job duties, A+ seems like a waste of $250. It's not going to make the journey to MCSE any faster since it doesn't count as an elective. If you really want that MCSA intermediate step, choose an elective that will count for both MCSE and MCSA.

Security+ could still get you the for life cert and will also count as your elective. So it depends if you just want to get it over with or if you are looking for something to enhance the resume and your skills.

Zartanasaurus, (A+)+(Net+)=elective
  • Options
    Security+ could still get you the for life cert and will also count as your elective. So it depends if you just want to get it over with or if you are looking for something to enhance the resume and your skills.

Zartanasaurus, (A+)+(Net+)=elective

Yea I just want to knock out the certs and since I'm in school working on my bachelors the easier the route the happier I'll be.
  • Options
    GosU-TecHGosU-TecH Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□

Now I agree with posts above if you're going for the CompTIA electives the sooner the better to lock em in, but I would also agree that the 70-680 is a great starting point.

I started with the 70-680 with the intention of going down the MCITP:EA track (I also picked it because I thought a client OS would be easiest for my first MS exam....as you may find out in other threads I was wrong (not easy), but I did manage a pass). I have since changed my mind and am heading down the MCSA/MCSE path before upgrading to MCITP:EA.

The 680 exam gives you some flexibility with where you want to go from there without feeling like you've wasted time or money. Plus, it would pass as your client upgrade requirement from MCSE to MCITP:EA: MCSE Certification | MCSE Training | Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    According to this article, the MCSE is still in much demand.

Today's Most In-Demand Certifications - Certification Magazine

YMWV of course.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I didn't read the whole thead, but is the MCSE still worth getting?

dice.com search results
    MCSE = 1009 results
    MCITP = 191 results

And given MCITP: Enterprise vs. Server vs. Messaging etc etc I would say the MCSE is still heavily in demand by HR.

So IMHO I still consider the MCSE mandatory for Windows administrators.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I didn't read the whole thead, but is the MCSE still worth getting?

dice.com search results
    MCSE = 1009 results
    MCITP = 191 results

Very convincing stats alone, but also consider that the 191 results for MCITP could have been referring to MCITP: DST or MCITP: DBA or any one of the other 50 MCITP certs.

Thanks for doing the search.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Couldn't read all the posts, but thought I'd just add my bit.

If I had to start the path now I would probably go with MCITP:EA. Attitudes on the MCSE will be different in a year's time when I'd have finally achieved it. If worried about HR filters, stick "MCSE" in a keyword section on your resume.

In the experience section, mention Server 2003 technology to show that you've worked with it. And make sure you do an Exchange exam. icon_smile.gif