Home Network -- Patch Panel Question

ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
Okay I circled important areas, i'll start from the top to help you visualize whats going on here. I want to enable all ethernet jacks that are wired within my condo. The internet company is trying to charge me $20 a pop. Surely I can do this myself. Just cant figure out how they made one jack hot and the rest disabled. (See Attachment)

1. The black box is the cable modem
- Theres an ethernet running from the cable modem to the Leivton switch, which is all the way down on the bottom left.
- Theres a coaxial, split to all cable drops obviously to give me cable TV

2. Theres the green patch panel in the center. As you can see theres this white ethernet cable pushed into the upper right. This one is interesting...becuase the rest are blue drops wired to the patch.

3. On the left hand side of the patch there are 4 ethernet cables plugged into, running from the patch to the 4 port switch.

4. Port 4 on the switch currently has its status light blinknig and active, the rest are off. (Port 4 is obviously the drop he activated which is in my living room)

Now im trying to figur eout...just how to activate the other ports on the switch. Maybe I need to take another look at the patch panel...I just dont know what hes doing to activate the switch ports.
Currently studying for:
MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
ss.jpg 88.7K

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    A photo of it is useless as the wires aren't tidy. Draw a diagram.

The white Leviton box has "Internet Gateway" written on it and from looking at the Leviton site, it is a router and not a switch. It is doing firewalling and NAT for you. Go log into it as administrator user and see if there are any options in there.
  • ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    How am I to login to this router, I have a laptop, should I go ahead unplug say port 3, and plug my laptop into it, then I need to find the default IP and sign-in credentials for it. Correct?

Then open the web and visit 192.168.1.1 for example. See if theres any options to activate the other ports? You dont think its the case that the internet company just fumbled the patch panel wires to turn the others ports in the house offline? Too much trouble? Probably just a configuration that needs changing on the router?
    Currently studying for:
    hmmmm I think this is it...

10/100Mbps 4-Port Internet Gateway > Data Networking > Connected Home > Leviton Integrated Networks and Controls > All Leviton Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products
    Configuring the Gateway:

Launch your web browser, and enter: http://192.168.0.1 into the URL field of the browser
    window. This is the default IP address for the Gateway. This IP address connects to the
    Gateway firmware, not the Internet.
    Once the Gateway firmware is contacted, you should see a prompt for a user name and
    password. Leave the user name field blank and type "leviton" in lower case in the
    password field. The password is case sensitive; do not include the quotation marks.
    Click "OK".
    Select the "Setup Wizard" on the left frame of page, under "Home" folder. You will be
    guided through a series of questions to configure your Gateway.

lets hope he didnt change the defaults...guess if he did I could do a hard reset.
    Currently studying for:
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ITVince wrote: »
    How am I to login to this router, I have a laptop, should I go ahead unplug say port 3, and plug my laptop into it, then I need to find the default IP and sign-in credentials for it. Correct?
    No. Plug your laptop into the active port i.e. port 4.
    See if theres any options to activate the other ports?
    Yes.
    You dont think its the case that the internet company just fumbled the patch panel wires to turn the others ports in the house offline?
    No.

You need to research this online if you're unsure about what to do. There must be other users of your cable service out there. I don't mean just posting here either.

If all else fails then buy a small 4 port 10/100 switch and plug it into port 4 and then move all the cables from the patch panel to your new switch. You might as well just pay them the $20 at this point however.
    I was able to get into the Leviton Router...just by typing in the IP address on the wireless connection in my house...checking the available options now..
    Currently studying for:
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    hmmmm I think this is it...
    ...lets hope he didnt change the defaults...guess if he did I could do a hard reset.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/LEFT]

uh...any reason why you won't have the ISP handle this matter?

A hard reset, if they have provisioned the router/gateway to their settings, you could lose all those settings and leave you dead to their service...then they will REALLY love it when you call back for support.

How many do you need? They only charge $20 for this service...is there a service call fee too? If it's only $20, have them do one, be nice to the tech who comes out...perhaps they'll show you/or just do the rest for you.

And, get some cable ties (velcro is fine), it may help you to visualize where things are going/coming from.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    why am I going to pay $20 for them to come flip a switch or change a configuration which I can easily do and on top of that learn from? icon_smile.gif I just need to find out how to activate the other 3 ports on this gateway...doesnt seem to be any apparent option to do so however...hmmm icon_study.gif
    Currently studying for:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    why am I going to pay $20 for them to come flip a switch or change a configuration which I can easily do and on top of that learn from? icon_smile.gif I just need to find out how to activate the other 3 ports on this gateway...doesnt seem to be any apparent option to do so however...hmmm icon_study.gif
    Have you tried to ask tech support if they you can even do it? Like they may have it locked down. 20 dollars does seem a bit steep for a port change, maybe you could get a cheap switch and plug it into the active port....