s

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited January 2019 in Off-Topic
a

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ghost isn't free but you can do a handful of computers at a time (10 I think). You can also look to combine that with spiceworks for asset management.

If you want true open source look at F.O.G. It will do imaging and asset management although it will definitely take some configuration and getting used to.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Use an excel spreadsheet if you want cheap & simple :D
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of my clients that I worked with recently wrote a PERL script that interfaced with WMI and maintained detailed information on all their assets (installed software, updates, etc.). It also reported any changes that were detected since the last time it ran. It was pretty slick. You could probably do something similar with Powershell.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    dynamik wrote: »
    One of my clients that I worked with recently wrote a PERL script that interfaced with WMI and maintained detailed information on all their assets (installed software, updates, etc.). It also reported any changes that were detected since the last time it ran. It was pretty slick. You could probably do something similar with Powershell.

I did a similar thing with a log on script (vbscript) that exported wmi data to a sql database... the only downside is it takes a bit of massaging to get the data you need.

+1 for the powershell route
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I'm the Altiris Administrator where I work and it has all the asset management capabilities and then some but cost mega bucks.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Use an excel spreadsheet if you want cheap & simple :D

Use OpenOffice Calc and make it cheaper. Just Kidding.

Check out Spiceworks.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    As far as imaging OEM boxes. Yes you can, I imaged probably 8000-10000 boxes at my last job which 99% of were OEM. (dont ask why).

What you do is run Belarc advisor or any random keyfinder on the box BEFORE you wipe it, to get the master OEM key. Plug that key into your answer file for the image and the OEM machines will do their automatic BIOS linked activation on their own.

For the actual imaging I, of course, recommend WDS.