Options

WGU Books 24x7 tip

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
Something I learned the other day and I pray they don't fix it.

They block printing off of Books 24x7 I am sure there is a work around but that was not my intent.

What I wanted was the ability to print the books to PDF and put them on my Dropbox account so I can download them to my iPad/Kindle/iPhone for offline reading. Like today at lunch I snuck in 30 minutes of study via Dropbox.

Then I have it on my iPad and not worry about an Internet connection.

But anyways if you log in on the upper right hand corner there is a "mobile version" link. I copied I to my Xmarks online bookmarks profile. The mobile site allows perfect PDF creation via PrimoPDF (free windows PDF creator).

The mobile site creates perfect mutli page PDF files.

Hope this helps.

Comments

• Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Before you continue, I'd like to say that I don't use Books 24x7 through WGU but through another technical school. With that being said I'm sure that it works the exact same way so hopefully this works for you.

It's possible to put them into a PDF format and print them. You'll have to go to each individual chapter in the book and look towards the top of the page for an image that looks like a red arrow pointing down. It's in the browse tools part of the page and if you hover over it, it reads "Download Center". Click that and it'll pop up saying the size of the download and give you a "download" button to click to confirm the download. You can then either open or save the PDF and it'll open it in your PDF reader. Note: It only shows each individual chapter at a time so you'll literally have to go to chapter 1, click the red arrow, download and print, then go to chapter 2, click the red arrow, download and print, etc. until you're done.

They call the downloads "Chapters to Go" and from what I can see it has everything that you'd normally read through your web browser.

Hope that helps you.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    Oh heck really? I don't mind doing that for each chapter. I have folders for each assignment so I prefer to break the assignments down per chapter.

I will give this a shot today
  • Options
    Ok I guess that feature is only available for certain titles.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of our users was banned by books 24x7 and asked to contact our local representative because of breaches of copy rights icon_confused.gif:

He was selecting text from the online pages then copy - paste into word to read them offline.

I don't know how they found out, but they did icon_exclaim.gif
    We use corporate accounts.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wd40 wrote: »
    One of our users was banned by books 24x7 and asked to contact our local representative because of breaches of copy rights icon_confused.gif:

He was selecting text from the online pages then copy - paste into word to read them offline.

I don't know how they found out, but they did icon_exclaim.gif
    We use corporate accounts.

They're everywhere and they'll find out what you're doing......
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They're Santa Claus.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    They call the downloads "Chapters to Go" and from what I can see it has everything that you'd normally read through your web browser.

Hope that helps you.

Tried it with Javascript Bible, didn't see the red arrow. Even tried multiple browsers, etc.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One thing I have done with Books 24x7 is that I logged into skillsoft and went to books 24x7 and then bookmarked that to my favorites bar (IEicon_cool.gif and when I click my Books 24x7 button on the favorites bar I go to Books 24x7 without having to log in.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.