Options

CEH After CISSP...

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does anyone have any thoughts about how to approach this? I am sure many people have done it in this same order based on the DoD 8570 requirements being updated. I completed my CISSP in May, and now I am looking to complete the WGU MS ISA which includes the CEH. If I just study for it now and get it over with, I won't have to worry about it. Is there really much studying necessary if the material from CISSP is still fresh in your mind? I have not cracked the first book on CEH, so I have no idea how much overlap there might be.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Does anyone have any thoughts about how to approach this? I am sure many people have done it in this same order based on the DoD 8570 requirements being updated. I completed my CISSP in May, and now I am looking to complete the WGU MS ISA which includes the CEH. If I just study for it now and get it over with, I won't have to worry about it. Is there really much studying necessary if the material from CISSP is still fresh in your mind? I have not cracked the first book on CEH, so I have no idea how much overlap there might be.

It's totally different. The questions are going to be all over the place, but they're going to be straight-forward and technical. There will be some overlap from the network/telecom security domain, but it's certainly not going to carry you. Crack those books!
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They are two different subject. It's kind of odd that you went to CISSP first because it suppose to be more difficult. However, I do understood that there are two weeks training from the DoD that you can go to prepare CISSP exam.

CEH is much more technical and in deep on how thing work.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Kasor, I think he went CISSP first because it is a DoD requirement, and now that he has started with WGU, he has to earn the CEH... between the fact that I can't get even one course waived with a CISSP, and having to take the CEH (which I have absolutely no interest in), that is why I haven't gone with WGU. yet.

Got any more info on the two weeks of training? I bet it's only for military/civilians, contractors never get any of the good stuff. icon_sad.gif
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, I took the CISSP because of the DoD 8570 as it was a requirement for my employment as a contractor. I am taking CEH because it is part of the WGU curriculum. I am not sure that I would have given it much consideration otherwise, but I can't say that without a doubt. It does seem interesting, but I had only heard of the CISSP before my employment...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    cvisionzcvisionz Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On a side note, the C|EH is another level of certification that fufills an 8570.01M directive-- the super cool Computer Network Defense (CND) positions. Other than a CND director, the CISSP/CEH combo will allow you to do *ANY* IT related job in the US DoD or Military.

Powerfool: Are you some sort of twin? Maybe my long lost brother I never knew I had? This is eery...
    ... I also have an MCSA/MCSE 2003, CCNA, Network+, CISSP, a BS:IT Security (on last class actually), and am also going to immediately start my MS in Information Security and Assurance. I noticed you joined techexams in JUL 2010, and I joined in AUG 2010. Methinks we are hurting each other in the job market-- unless there are 2 openings for the same bad ass job. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TrainingDazeTrainingDaze Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cvisionz wrote: »
    On a side note, the C|EH is another level of certification that fufills an 8570.01M directive-- the super cool Computer Network Defense (CND) positions. Other than a CND director, the CISSP/CEH combo will allow you to do *ANY* IT related job in the US DoD or Military.

Yup, precisely why I'm attempting both before I graduate. I'm glad that these 2 certs cover so many requisite areas of the 8570....but I'm kind of disappointed in the ceh. It doesn't seem to be as well organized and provide the same breadth of knowledge as some of the giac certs. Oh well.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup, precisely why I'm attempting both before I graduate. I'm glad that these 2 certs cover so many requisite areas of the 8570....but I'm kind of disappointed in the ceh. It doesn't seem to be as well organized and provide the same breadth of knowledge as some of the giac certs. Oh well.

I have done quite a bit of studying for it and I agree it doesn't seem to be well organized compared to most certifications I have taken. I have noticed this isn't a certification that has a depth of knowledge in a area. It is more of a mile wide with a inch of depth certification. I see this as more of a springboard certification.

Soon as I am not busy with work I will start studying again.