Options

Starting now, 4 weeks to do the A+. Given my experience already, is it feasible?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
So I just found out that on August 31st the A+ 601/602 exam expires and I checked last night and my Meyers book is for those exams. I am wanting to knock out my A+ to continue on to a MCSA.

I've worked in IT for over 5 years doing everything from PC building/maintenance/repair, networking, Windows/AD implementation and administration, etc, etc. I have my Network+ and also an A.S in IT/Computer Networking.

I also have been working on PC's and working with Windows since 3.1. I'm very well versed with PC technology and in general the A+ material is easy to me. I do need to memorize some of the terms and processes as I'm better at practical than written when it comes to tests.

So starting today, do you think it is reasonable to go ahead and start reading/cramming/practice testing and then in 2-3 weeks pick up vouchers and schedule the exam for the end of August?
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I studied for mine for about 2 weeks, so it can definitely be done.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

I spent 3 months "preparing", but really I spent 2 and a half months not doing anything, and then the last week before each test studying my butt off. 4 weeks should be a cake walk.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It should be easy with your experience.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As a question, are you sure the 601/602 aren't already retired? The website states that all other countries retire it on 8/31, with U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and South Africa having already done so.

CompTIA A+ 2006 Edition

Regardless, good luck with the test.
  • Options
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    As a question, are you sure the 601/602 aren't already retired? The website states that all other countries retire it on 8/31, with U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and South Africa having already done so.

CompTIA A+ 2006 Edition

Regardless, good luck with the test.

The main stream english exams were retired on 2/28/2010. Non-english and the JK0 series are available until 8/31/2010. The JK0 version requires a special voucher. They are also far cheaper. I believe the JK0 version was $74 compared to the $168 of the normal test.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    The main stream english exams were retired on 2/28/2010. Non-english and the JK0 series are available until 8/31/2010. The JK0 version requires a special voucher. They are also far cheaper. I believe the JK0 version was $74 compared to the $168 of the normal test.

Hmm... whats with the JK0 version? If it will be too much trouble then I guess I will eat $50 and pick up the new book. Either way I want it done by end of August. I want to get my MCSA/E as soon as possible. Im going to be trying to pound out my certs so I can get a new job.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Hmm... whats with the JK0 version?
    Same test, gives the same credentials, cheaper test. They are intended for students, so in order to get a voucher you either have to be a student at a place that has them, or to know someone who works at said place and can hook you up.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'm swinging by my neighborhood B&N and picking up the new book icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'm swinging by my neighborhood B&N and picking up the new book icon_twisted.gif

From my understanding it is nearly the same test. It just includes windows vista (and possibly 7). I've also been told that Wifi has become a more popular topic.

If you really wanted to skimp, you could probably get by with your book if you paired it with Transcender or another program like that. I would recommend Transcender anyway. I've used it on every test I've taken and have had good results with all of them. A little spendy, but with the price of CompTIA vouchers, you don't want to be doing retakes.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Same here! It's relatively easy if you have past experience with Desktop Support.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    professor messer has new 701 and 702 videos up on his site Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training If you get the new book and go over your weaker areas and also watch the videos related to the objectives that may be trouble spots for you I would think you should be fine.

I used total seminars practice tests for the Network+ that came bundled with the vouchers and I thought they were pretty good. I would guess the quality is about the same for the A+.
  • Options
    xg3xg3 Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did my 701 and 702 at one week interval.
    I have been in the industry for 3 years.. and I didn't read the textbook.

Just took the sample exams.. once.. maybe 8 hours each.

Scored 843 / 900 on 701 and 867/900 on 702.

Is it that easy?
    No, if you don't work with computer day in day out in multiple OS. You will fail without studying.

In summary:
    A+ is like a home networking and troubleshooting certification.
  • Options
    xg3 wrote: »
    I did my 701 and 702 at one week interval.
    I have been in the industry for 3 years.. and I didn't read the textbook.

Just took the sample exams.. once.. maybe 8 hours each.

Scored 843 / 900 on 701 and 867/900 on 702.

Is it that easy?
    No, if you don't work with computer day in day out in multiple OS. You will fail without studying.

In summary:
    A+ is like a home networking and troubleshooting certification.

I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard for me to pass with a month of studying as I have 5 years work experience but 13 years of messing with PCs.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It should be a piece of cake with that amount of studying and your experience. Most people, myself included, will recommend you use more than one source. I used the Mike Meyers All in One and Learnkey Videos (with Mike Meyers) and did pretty good and I had less experience than you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dairou18dairou18 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the 601/602 the same day while I was in high school without studying for either. I would assume the test hasn't changed that much. I'd say you can do really well on the tests without much studying if you comfortable with hardware, basic configuring/troubleshooting and customer service skills.