Options

Looking to Start WGU's MSISA Program...

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am planning on starting WGU's MS in Information Security and Assurance soon. As many of you may know, the program contains six certifications among its courses, once of which being the Network+. I passed the Network+ in 2001, but they do not accept certifications older than five years. Assuming that I cannot get them to waive it based on also having a recent and up to date CCNA, Microsoft networking exams (291 and 293), and CISSP (Telecom and Networking domain), I may have to retake the silly exam. I know that it isn't exactly the toughest exam, but I don't feel like studying for it if I have to retake. How much of the exam is covered by knowing TCP/IP inside and out, including subnetting and standard common ports? I remember that some of the exam went over lot's of layer 1/2 stuff, which may get me... I mean really, who deals with anything besides Ethernet, some fiber optic, and some wireless (beyond WAN stuff)? Does it still include IPX/SPX? Does it still include Frame Relay? What would I be in for?
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would grab an ExamCram for the Network+, study for a couple of weeks and take it. You should be perfectly fine.
  • Options
    My style lately has been to studying for about a week and to take an exam. I did my MCSE on 2000 back in 2002 and never got around to the upgrade exams. After I completed my CISSP a few months ago, I decided that I needed to update my MCSE. I am averaging 10 days in between exams now. Of course, I have loads of experience with Windows Server 2003, so it isn't a stretch to cram for each exam within a week. There is just something that doesn't let illogical things compute in my mind, which is why I have a problem redoing Network+... I already have it and it is a lifetime cert...
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    My style lately has been to studying for about a week and to take an exam. I did my MCSE on 2000 back in 2002 and never got around to the upgrade exams. After I completed my CISSP a few months ago, I decided that I needed to update my MCSE. I am averaging 10 days in between exams now. Of course, I have loads of experience with Windows Server 2003, so it isn't a stretch to cram for each exam within a week. There is just something that doesn't let illogical things compute in my mind, which is why I have a problem redoing Network+... I already have it and it is a lifetime cert...

LOL, it's nothing really. I have loads of Desktop Support experience so the A+ was a breeze for me. I actually respect WGU for wanting their "classes" to be current. There is a good reason behind what we would consider odd.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hopefully they will use a little common sense and waive it.
    But then again common sense and WGU don't always go hand in hand. Look at all the people who have the MCSE and/or MCITP:EA who have to take CIW Foundations in the bachelors program.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, the two skill sets are completely different for MCSE/MCITP and CIW Foundations. Foundations is essentially web foundations, whereas Those two certs are OS Specific certs. It would be like accepting CCIE for a wireless class.
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Well, the two skill sets are completely different for MCSE/MCITP and CIW Foundations. Foundations is essentially web foundations, whereas Those two certs are OS Specific certs. It would be like accepting CCIE for a wireless class.

Exactly...
  • Options
    Well, I have resigned myself to taking this thing. It will give me 3 of my necessary 45-ish CUs and I should be able to spend a few hours cramming and just take it. I should hear back from my enrollment advisor any day now and get things rolling for a September 1st start date. So, I guess I will start cramming them and get EWB knocked out and immediately follow that with the Network+ exam. At least the exam is covered in the tuition.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I am in the WGU Program as well and actually found LabSim to be the best resource they sent me.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1