Options

SECURITY+ vs CCNA SECURITY

crushboy18crushboy18 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
i had a few question abt SECURITY+,hope anyone can ans them...
1]whats better security+ or ccna security???
2]how much time does it take normally to finish studying security+ on an average??
3]is sybex SECURITY+ study guide a good book to study fr security+ exam??
4]how much value does SECURITY+ really carry in the job market OR how important is it to get sec+ certified?????

Comments

• Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take my advice with a grain of salt; I don't have either of these certs, but hope to within the next 12 months.

I advise you to get both certs. The Security+ is required for most jobs relating to DoD projects so you never know when that will come in handy. Get Security+ first because its a good primer for anyone wanting to get started in security and because we're down to 5 months before you lose the certified for life benefit with this CompTIA exam.

As for a book, the people on this board swear by this one: Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

The author, Darril Gibson, frequently posts on this forum. You can't beat that!

I will buy this book, the Exam Cram guide, and I will use CBT Nuggets.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I should complete S+ in a few weeks and I have studied for S+ (and I think I know the material well enough to comment). They compliment each other well and there is some overlap. I think if you have the money (both test are like 250) do both but if you can only squeeze one in this year do the S+ because it will be a lifetime cert until the end of the year. The ccna security has better networking information IMO but the S+ covers physical security and MS/Linux something not covered by the CCNA:Sec. S+ is all around an important cert for entry level (and level Mid level Non InfoSec) pros. It probably won't get you a job on its on but it would help you beat out other people, especially for government jobs. I cannot comment on the sybex book but the CCNA:S took me 2 months to complete (after taking the CCNA). The S+ could probably be done in 1 month or less but I have had some priority shifts in my money and I didn't want to pay for this yet. That has now changed and I will be doing it this month.
  • Options
    CertGrabberCertGrabber Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The comptia security+ is vendor neutral. It covers a wide variety of protocols, algorithms, etc that you need to know. It is a fairly basic exam and I don't suspect it will "land" you a job lol.. I'm getting the cert and using it more as a stepping stone for a higher security cert. That way I will understand things more down the road, as the sec+ will give me a basic understanding.

The CCNA security is much more in depth, I suspect. However, it is a Cisco certification so is a lot of the information will be proprietary.. The CCNA Security is a much more valuable cert, I suspect.

Screw it bro, just go for both!!

And yes, what '2ndchance' said, get Darril Gibson's book for the sec+. It's hard to find in a bookstore (couldn't find it at two diff barnes n nobles), so just order it online. It's supposed to really well written and easy to understand.
    Studying CCNP Route

Currently compiling my own home lab. I never knew scouring ebay for routers, switches, and modules could be so much fun!
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    crushboy18 wrote: »
    i had a few question abt SECURITY+,hope anyone can ans them...
    1]whats better security+ or ccna security???
    2]how much time does it take normally to finish studying security+ on an average??
    3]is sybex SECURITY+ study guide a good book to study fr security+ exam??
    4]how much value does SECURITY+ really carry in the job market OR how important is it to get sec+ certified?????

1. Depends on where you are applying and who you are applying to. Do they use Cisco equipment?

2. I could of read the book in 2 weeks and studied for about 4 weeks after reading and highlighting (a specific study strategy that I have put together using flashcards.) Depending on your experience it could be done in about 6 weeks. CCNA security will be longer in most cases because of it being vendor specific.

3. Don't know, I am using the Sybex book for my study but have been slowed due to fact I just got a new job for Xerox.

4. Depends on the job being offered and who is hiring. Some HR maybe feel that the A+ is the most important because of something they heard from a family member. Others might feel that a combo of sec+ and CCNA SEC is important because of actual research.
  • Options
    yiannityiannit Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my ccna sec last month and currently studying for sec+

sec+ plus like someone mentioned is not vendor specific and covers broad topics on everything

the ccna sec covers pretty much everything in sec+ like concepts and stuff, but ccna sec also focuses on how to secure cisco routers and switches and is heavily focused on using sdm to configure vpn, zone based firewalls etc. it is easier than ccna but its a cisco exam so its still tough.
  • Options
    thanx guys ,really helpful!!!
    i think i will go ahead with security +....ccna sec can follow.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CCNA security is much more in depth, I suspect. However, it is a Cisco certification so is a lot of the information will be proprietary.. The CCNA Security is a much more valuable cert, I suspect.

Honestly the CCNA:S isn't that much more indepth. It is a very easy test (compared to the CCNA which, well isn't so easy). I also don't know if it is that more valuable especially with the DOD behind the S+ and all. With the CCNA:S even though it tells you information from the perspective of Cisco, there is still a lot of good info about IPSEC, Diffe, RSA and other stuff.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    thanx guys ,really helpful!!!
    i think i will go ahead with security +....ccna sec can follow.

if your cert list under your name is accurate, you need to finish ICND2 before you can even think about CCNA sec.
  • Options
    yep...i knw tht..
    preparin fr icnd2 btw...
    n m also studin for sec+...
    jus wanted an opinion on hw sec+ fares against ccna sec....

n btw guys...DOD really doesnt affect me....m frm INDIA!
  • Options
    ClockworksClockworks Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yep...i knw tht..
    preparin fr icnd2 btw...
    n m also studin for sec+...
    jus wanted an opinion on hw sec+ fares against ccna sec....

n btw guys...DOD really doesnt affect me....m frm INDIA!

I would have guessed otherwise, by the horrible teenage/texting-like speak.
  • Options
    CertGrabberCertGrabber Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Honestly the CCNA:S isn't that much more indepth. It is a very easy test (compared to the CCNA which, well isn't so easy). I also don't know if it is that more valuable especially with the DOD behind the S+ and all. With the CCNA:S even though it tells you information from the perspective of Cisco, there is still a lot of good info about IPSEC, Diffe, RSA and other stuff.

Good to know. Yea, I wasn't too sure the difference between the two tests. Is the CCNA:S similiar to other CCNA tests where labbing will be required? Or is the test just straightforward multiple choice?

I'm looking to buy some equipment to set up a small home lab when I go for my Cisco tests.
    Studying CCNP Route

Currently compiling my own home lab. I never knew scouring ebay for routers, switches, and modules could be so much fun!