Options

Exam Cram for 70-642

2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I read the poor reviews on Amazon, but I bought it anyway because I've always relied upon the Practice Exams in the back of the book.

I've read a few chapters and sections of this book, but I'm scared to use it as a practice test resource. Has anyone else had experience using this book in preperation for this exam?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The exam cram questions are what are used for the examforce practice tests which are useless. The examcram book is ok at best when used with a better, more thorough book. I used the exam cram book and it is good as a review tool but not as a primary source or as a practice test style tool.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    This was the only book I used for the 642 section of the MCITP upgrade exam. I supplemented the book with some online labs and articles to get a better understanding of NAP, but I felt I did not need to spend much time on the 642 material.

However, I took the upgrade and not the full 642 exam. I wouldn't trust it as my only resource for the full exam unless you have plenty of experience and prior knowledge of the objectives.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    examcram has really dropped the ball with their 2008 books. Their 2003 stuff was great andapart from their 70-640 book, they havent been very good when it comes to Windows 2008 cert preparation.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    alokin123 wrote: »
    examcram has really dropped the ball with their 2008 books. Their 2003 stuff was great andapart from their 70-640 book, they havent been very good when it comes to Windows 2008 cert preparation.

I agree with this, even their 2000 version was better. I only took a look at the book for 70-640 and didn't like it at all.

If you really want to learn the material get the MS book and the Sybex. Both come with practice exams which are really useful.

I used this combination for 70-640 and 70-642 and got 950/1000 in both exams and I do know the material well.
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have always used Exam Cram books as a suplemental resource; never a primary source. My primary sources for the 640 exam were the MS Press book, CBT Nuggets, labs, and on the job experience. The Exam Cram was my final study resource. I found the questions at the end of the chapters and the two study exams to be excellent and to the point. Then I made the mistake of taking a practice exam on the CD (from MeasureUp).

Za3bour: I'm glad to hear that you liked the practice exams that come with the MS Press book. I think I am going to crack that open tonight. I had been stressing over the 642 simply because I lacked a solid bank of test questions.

Like others, I use practice questions to identify areas of weakness. It is one of my final prepratations for any cert.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
  • Options
    The measure up included with the MS Press book will help a lot for that test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    paulvill76paulvill76 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all , I´m MCSA in Messaging and I ´ll taking the upgrade exams to MCTS: Windows 2008 , now I need to know what the fastest way to achieve MCTS .

Already finished 6420 and 6421 , I was plannning 70-640, 70-642, and then not sure 70-643 and /or 70-647 and 70-648.

Regards

Pablo
  • Options
    paulvill76 wrote: »
    Hi all , I´m MCSA in Messaging and I ´ll taking the upgrade exams to MCTS: Windows 2008 , now I need to know what the fastest way to achieve MCTS .

Already finished 6420 and 6421 , I was plannning 70-640, 70-642, and then not sure 70-643 and /or 70-647 and 70-648.

Regards

Pablo
    The 70-648 is the upgrade that covers both the 70-640 and 70-642. If you take the 70-648 you'll only have to take the 70-643 and 70-647 to complete the MCITP:EA.
    The 70-648 is an upgrade exam for MCSA2003. If you were an MCSE you could take the 70-649 which covers the 640/642/643.