Installing Win7 to a SSD error message

staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

recently built a new pc and have a ssd hdd for it but when i try and isntall to it i get a error message saying its connected via USB or IEEE 1394 Full error message is

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installtion to disks connected though a USB or IEEE 1394 port.

ive thrown in my old sata hdd and its working fine from that using the same cables and ports on the mobo. Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

s

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry I haven't used SSD yet but off the top of my head I'd check the mbd BIOS to see if there are any emulation options for SSDs (i.e. can it be forced to treat one as SATA, is this a limitation of that mbd etc.?). I'd check the manufacturers site for a bios update just in case.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have a lot of expeience with SSD's other than the one in my laptop. I installed windows 7 64 bit on it with no issues.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all thanks for replies, found out the problem. i had attached the ssd via port 6 of 1-6 on my mobo. in the bios i found a setting that had options for either auto/ide/ahci

but if ports 1-3 are set to auto then you cant change 3-6.

put the sdd in port 1 and changed it to ahci and works fine..

must say the improvements from going to ssd are crazy impressive. boot time is now about 30-40 seconds. the install alone toke roughly half the time as well.

very happy so far and thanks for the help.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    rotational hard drives are an abomination. i have a 1TB SSD in my laptop, which I recommend/sell to all my clients.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    rotational hard drives are an abomination
    They're still the best option for storage vs cost.
    i have a 1TB SSD in my laptop, which I recommend/sell to all my clients.
    Which one is that? The only 1TB 2.5" SSD I've seen announced was a pureSilicon drive from last year which nobody actually seems to sell. The consumer 1TB SSDs of any shape are either 3.5" or a PCI Express card.
    NewEgg #:N82E16820227515

3.5" bays are the only way to go. 2.5" bays are an abomination.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505

You've got a 3.5" drive bay on your laptop? o.O

That laptop must be huge.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□

Ouch! Over $3k! There are very few people (me included) that would shell out that kind of cash for an SSD. I'll wait a year or two for them to start dropping considerably before I buy an SSD.
    Exaggerated fibs are an abomination! icon_razz.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    Ouch! Over $3k! There are very few people (me included) that would shell out that kind of cash for an SSD. I'll wait a year or two for them to start dropping considerably before I buy an SSD.

I don't know any home user nor have I heard of a home user buying a drive like that. Most I've seen buy 1 or several of these smaller drives newegg N82E16820167025 and use them for an OS drive or several for a fast raid array.
    Whatever you say. Rotational hard drives are obsolete and useless. Convince your clients they need SSDs and you'll both be happy. I don't care if all the secretary does is use Outlook and facebook, they need an SSD.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep convincing your clients to buy those $$$$$$$$$ SSD's which mean prices will drop sooner and then I can talk my clients into buying them after the prices drop.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rotational hard drives are an abomination. i have a 1TB SSD in my laptop, which I recommend/sell to all my clients.

Wow, I can't remember the last time I read a new word, Thanks for that.

Back to the topic icon_lol.gif.

With a 9xx series Core i7 you can get 12 GB of RAM , this might help with VM's.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rotational hard drives are obsolete and useless...

I'm still trying to figure out if you're serious or not.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    On my last build spent $280 on 4x750 drives to make a Raid10 array that is faster than any SSD on the market....so full redundancy, faster, cheaper and more capacity is useless....oookkkkaaaaayyyy :)
    I agree SSDs are the future, but right now std drives make a lot more sense for most applications.
    Take it or leave it, it's just an appraisal. Not my problem if you're ......