AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor for Multiple Virtual Machines?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
I'm going to be building a desktop at the end of the month and one of the things I will be doing is running multiple virtual machines for studying MCSE stuff and running labs. Do you all think this would be a great proc for that? I would also be multitasking by running TV tuner software, web browsing and other stuff at the same time. I'm thinking this would be a great proc for all of that but wanted opinions. At $199 its a great proc for the money.

I've looked at the i7 870 2.93GHz but its almost $100 more and 2 less cores. Plus the mobo's are more than the AM3 socket boards.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd go with the AMD 6-core. My 955 quad does well for me when it comes to virtualization.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How many VMs do you want to run at a time? I found that beefy desktop PCs choke when running a lot of VMs b/c the single hard drive can't handle all the activity.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    How many VMs do you want to run at a time? I found that beefy desktop PCs choke when running a lot of VMs b/c the single hard drive can't handle all the activity.

I would say on a normal basis 2 maybe 3 vm's. In rare instances more than that. I'm probably going to load my OS on a raptor or SSD and use two separate drives for everything else.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I would say on a normal basis 2 maybe 3 vm's. In rare instances more than that. I'm probably going to load my OS on a raptor or SSD and use two separate drives for everything else.

Oh, you'll be fine then. I usually run a minimum of 6 VMs at once up to as many as 10-11 in my home lab.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see those prices and wish I had gone a different route for myself. I went with a Corei5 and spent a lot more $$$.
    So far I've done pretty good running 6 or 7 VM's as that's the most I've tried so far.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    earweed wrote: »
    I see those prices and wish I had gone a different route for myself. I went with a Corei5 and spent a lot more $$$.
    So far I've done pretty good running 6 or 7 VM's as that's the most I've tried so far.

Yea I really like the new i7 procs but AMD is just so much cheaper and I've never had any problems with AMD. The Phenom II X6 benchmarks just a hair behind the i7 870 but costs $100 less. I've been tempted to go with the i7 but rather use that $100 saved to get a 64GB SSD for the OS/app installation.