Options

To hang or not to hang

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I know there has been much discussion as to whether you should post your certs at your office.

I've always felt that if you earned them, why not? Well today the guy two cubes behind me decided it would be a good idea to post his. So now, the entire back of his cube he has pinned his MCP, MCDST, and MCSA. Everytime I look back there I laugh. For 1, I know he dumped them. And for 2, he used pins to put holes in them. If he was so proud of his cheating, why did he put holes in them?

I guess the best part of this whole thing, is that there are people with MCSE's, CCNA/P's, MCITP's, ect not to far away. And not one of them posted their certs.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I remember the last thread on this lol. I would hang them up at home. It's like a nice mural of your career progress.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan to hang them up at home and if push comes to shove and it seems more impressive (like if I ever get an office instead of a cube) then I may post them in the office (think of it as like posting your degree in your office). Other than that, if I were to ever open my own b&m repair shop then I might post them in the reception area there to showcase that customer's are bringing their hardware to certified professionals.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I've only seen lawyers hang their stuff at work.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I get my printed certifications, I look at them with a little pride. Then I throw them into a file folder. They're just indicators that I managed to somehow pass an exam. Whether I can translate that into real-world productivity and value-add, that's another matter that has to be proven on its own merit.

On personal marketing materials (my website, resume, etc.) I might place a note of all my professional certifications, but other than that...

That said, my GSEC plaque is pretty nice indeed. It won't fit neatly into a file folder though.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I also just put my certification awards away somewhere. I was thinking about hanging them up in my room but I don't like people asking me about them. Belike "ohhhhhh what does this mean....????" I'm not the type of person who shows things off but for certifications, it's worth it. A degree diploma... isn't really worth hanging up for me unless its something awsome that not alot of people have like computer forensics. I know way more people have a degree than a certification. It might not make since but thats how I feel about it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Once I get them in the mail I scan them to PDF and then lock the original in the safe. Nothing gets hung up at work. I'm not a lwayer or a Doctor, I'm a damn network tech. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion the only cert that deserved to be hanged is a PHD I don't think I will ever hang any of my certs I have them in my brain and posting them doesn't mean anything to me.
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    Once I get them in the mail I scan them to PDF and then lock the original in the safe. Nothing gets hung up at work. I'm not a lwayer or a Doctor, I'm a damn network tech. lol.

lol I do the same thing
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mine are in a folder in my desk drawer. My degree will probably go in the same folder.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I remember the last thread on this lol. I would hang them up at home. It's like a nice mural of your career progress.

LMAO I started the last one and it became a flame war at least thats how I recall it lol

Not another one. JUST KIDDING

I personally would hang them. Infact for my birthday I am getting all my certs framed and I'll hang them in my home office.
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »

And a damn good one at that!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As long as Im in a cubicle...
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    I've only seen lawyers hang their stuff at work.

...and doctors and engineers.

I can't compete with that, which is my reasoning for not bothering to show certs off.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    earweed wrote: »
    Mine are in a folder in my desk drawer. My degree will probably go in the same folder.
    Actually I may hang it in my home office.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    What about wearing clothes with your certification logo on it? Sorry I digress...
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    I have personally been burnt for hanging all my certs in my cubicle. I think it intimidates people around you that have no certs. I have taken them all down now, but once I get the CCIE, you know for sure that it will be the one and only cert hanging in my cubicle.

As for the doctors and lawyers hanging their degrees, good for them. but I am willing to put out there that the CCIE in my opinion in some areas is just as or if not more prestigious. Try to explain to them Multiprotocol BGP in MPLS VPN'S and they have no clue. They try explain how the body works, I have no clue.

Only 20,000 active CCIE's vs. how many millions of lawyers/doctors?

I know I will probably be burnt on saying that too, but at the CCIE level, you are easily making over 6 figures which in some cases is equal to what doctors/lawyers make and guess what, you don't have a $250,000 school loan to pay off like they do.

Not trying to take away from what doctor's and lawyers are, cause I have friends in both fields. Just saying that its all about pushing yourself to study and reach the next level and to try to isolate yourself from those around you. A few hard years of studying like crazy will pay off in spades in the long run.

In whatever career you are studying for the more information you know the more elite you make yourself. Knowledge is Power.

The doctor/lawyer elite status of today is what society has taught us and forced upon us. "If you want to be wealthy, you either have to be a lawyer or doctor". You can be just as well off or even better off doing hundreds or thousands of other career's. I have a friend who has made over $700,000 in about 3 years in I.T. This world is full of incredible opportunities.
  • Options
    Doctors and lawyers have to hang their cert because every one wanna know how good they are were did they graduate from and how many certs they have.

I think in IT world is different but that's my opinion and money is not the issue you can make a lot of money with 0certs in many ways :D
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    very true, you can make money without having certs or being a doctor/lawyer. Just a couple of examples, if you hold a very high security clearance or if you are willing to go overseas you can make big money with most of it being tax free (at least the first $85k).
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    imo, hanging them up is lame. Only thing i would is something like a phd, maybe a masters, or a CCIE and so on. but probably only the phd to be honest.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    nel wrote: »
    imo, hanging them up is lame. Only thing i would is something like a phd, maybe a masters, or a CCIE and so on. but probably only the phd to be honest.

My wife is an assistant scientist (only PhD's are scientists), as a result her lab coat has her name on it followed by B.S. M.S. indicating her degrees. The scientists just have Dr. <insert name> on their coats. Every industry is different.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I can see hanging a major one like MCSE or EA - even though I wouldnt if i were ever to get one...but I wouldnt consider hanging any others. The way I think about it - if you know it, you know it...there's no reason to show other people you work with every day that you know it.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mine are in a binder now with those protective plastic sleeves. Last year I had to do some calling around to get my accounts reset because I had registered with my Comcast ISP and when you cancel your ISP away goes your email. I now use my gmail for those things. Which I pretty much only use gmail.

I put them in a binder because back in the day I had them framed on the wall in my computer room. Sort of a way to motivate me to keep going. Then I took them down to make room for collectibles I had (Final Fantasy figures, Iron Man etc ...yeah im a nerd)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I prefer Hangings over Lethal Injection...

Oh wait! You mean the hanging of certifications??? :)

Actually I don't really care. I have hung a few up at work because I think it shows I'm going the extra mile. My coworkers don't think I'm a snob for doing it either.

To each there own...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I prefer Hangings over Lethal Injection...

Oh wait! You mean the hanging of certifications??? :)

Actually I don't really care. I have hung a few up at work because I think it shows I'm going the extra mile. My coworkers don't think I'm a snob for doing it either.

To each there own...

You just weren't aware that they actually do think you're a snob ;)

I don't really see the problem with hanging your certs on the wall. I think it's cool to see what credentials people have especially if you work with a bunch of IT people. I don't know that I will ever hang up my certs but I do have them framed at home.. laying on the floor.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i plan to hang the bs degree and only the high end ones not the lil comptia/ciw ones
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    i plan to hang the bs degree and only the high end ones not the lil comptia/ciw ones

Hang em all! Be the corporate putz! Just kidding.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    What about wearing clothes with your certification logo on it? Sorry I digress...

I wear my ISO, ITIL and MOFF lapelle (SP?) on Wednesdays. Those are the days we have our large change review meeting. People are always looking at me like I am a tool. Of course those are the people without certifications.

JUST KIDDING!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hehehe..I pitched up at work with my MCSE tie pin in 1999 for a few days. I did work awfully hard to get it. Never again. My line manager produced his Blue Peter badge. You live and learn I guess. Jealousy, jealousy :)
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to share this with you guys since this thread kinda jumped up around the same time. My wife just bough a bunch of frames the other day because she "got a deal". She's pushing me to put my certs in them and hang them wherever I work, icon_razz.gif.

Anyone else ever had outside spousal interference like this?
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just wanted to share this with you guys since this thread kinda jumped up around the same time. My wife just bough a bunch of frames the other day because she "got a deal". She's pushing me to put my certs in them and hang them wherever I work, icon_razz.gif.

Anyone else ever had outside spousal interference like this?

I'd just tell her I hung them up and then stick them in the desk drawer. I have a few items I have to pull out when she drops by icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.