Options

To hang or not to hang

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it very much depends on where you work and what you have achived.

A senior network consultant who has customers come to his office, it would probable be a good business move to have a CCIE or 2 hanging above his desk.

And in fact any one who has a CCIE should be able to feel proud and to be able to hang it up (in the UK only about 1500 exist so that's quite an achievement).

On the other hand if you are new in a company surrounded by people with advanced certificate who don't have theres up on the wall, you may find framing and hanging an entry level cert dosn't go down very well.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    but at the CCIE level, you are easily making over 6 figures

Easy???

I been looking at the job market recently and I can assure you that in the UK most CCIE jobs advertised are a lot less than 6 figures. I seen jobs offering £35K which ask for CCIE, and the average seems to be around 60K.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mine wants me to hang mine in my home office. I use the excuse of not wanting holes in the wall..
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I just thought I do have one CERT hanging at work framed. It's the one my wife gave me at a works Christmas meal a few years back (down on her farm)

"worlds best husband" :)
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I just thought I do have one CERT hanging at work framed. It's the one my wife gave me at a works Christmas meal a few years back (down on her farm)

"worlds best husband" :)
    That one has to hang icon_wink.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Easy???

I been looking at the job market recently and I can assure you that in the UK most CCIE jobs advertised are a lot less than 6 figures. I seen jobs offering £35K which ask for CCIE, and the average seems to be around 60K.

That's crazy. Most of the CCIE jobs around me are in the 90-110K range and I am in the Midwest (not the most high paying part of the USA).
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    N2IT wrote: »
    I wear my ISO, ITIL and MOFF lapelle (SP?) on Wednesdays. Those are the days we have our large change review meeting. People are always looking at me like I am a tool. Of course those are the people without certifications.

JUST KIDDING!

ROFL! Sorry we have a guy at work that wears shirts with MCSE on them nearly every day. I think it's hilarious.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    QHalo wrote: »
    ROFL! Sorry we have a guy at work that wears shirts with MCSE on them nearly every day. I think it's hilarious.

I have a sweatshirt that says Cisco... that's about it. I wear it when I get cold at the office. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

Isn't that because the sterling pound is worth so much more than other currencies?
    60K pounds (no symbol on my keyboard) x (current exchange rate) 1.7399 = AUS$104K.

Not taking into account cost of living, crap Australian dollar, etc.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    phantasm wrote: »
    I have a sweatshirt that says Cisco... that's about it. I wear it when I get cold at the office. lol.

touche :D
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    hehehe..I pitched up at work with my MCSE tie pin in 1999 for a few days. I did work awfully hard to get it. Never again. My line manager produced his Blue Peter badge. You live and learn I guess. Jealousy, jealousy :)

I had to look this one up. That's awesome, looks like Blue Peter can't be messed with.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I need a certificate that proudly announces that I'm under-paid and / or under-appreciated. Add a gold star medallion and some fancy script lettering with some official-looking accredited institution stamp, then it might be amusing to hang up.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Isn't that because the sterling pound is worth so much more than other currencies?
    60K pounds (no symbol on my keyboard) x (current exchange rate) 1.7399 = AUS$104K.

Not taking into account cost of living, crap Australian dollar, etc.

yes but they were the high end job that where offereing 60 -70K which are just about 6 figures

the orignal post said "6 figures easy"

where as I would say 6 figures if you have a decent amount of experince along side it. And you manage to get in to a good postition. I wold not say a CCIE is in any way a garantee of 6 figures.
  • Options
    PhoneGuyPhoneGuy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a photocopy of my CCNA on the wall at work, but there is a reason for that. Have to needle the guy that shares my office. The only other cert on the wall is the one I am most proud of, a Red Cross 8 gallon blood doner cert. Working on gallon 9 now. I have no problems at all bragging about that.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    PhoneGuy wrote: »
    I have a photocopy of my CCNA on the wall at work, but there is a reason for that. Have to needle the guy that shares my office. The only other cert on the wall is the one I am most proud of, a Red Cross 8 gallon blood doner cert. Working on gallon 9 now. I have no problems at all bragging about that.

Now that's something to be proud of! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

You'll be the hottest guy at work. With that much blood drawn all the women know your are disease free.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    where as I would say 6 figures if you have a decent amount of experince along side it. And you manage to get in to a good postition. I wold not say a CCIE is in any way a garantee of 6 figures.

Now that makes sense. (typos and all... :D )
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a friend who works at a VAR and they were recently interviewing CCIEs. They were paying well above 100k (US). Granted, this is based in the Silicon Valley. For that reason alone, I'm considering eventually getting a CCIE, although that would require a considerable amount of investment time just to learn a single vendor's hardware and idealology (but there are a lot of Cisco shops out there).
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    I used to work with a guy who displayed his Solaris certification proudly. He was a little....different. None of the rest of us, no matter how skilled, displayed any certs. So one day I xeroxed his cert, made copies, and figured out the exact font and spacing to make "certifications" for all of us.:D He started locking it up in his desk when he left after that.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□

I wish I could give blood, but I am not allowed because I get ill every single time I do it.

Though, is there much call for AB+ blood? :D
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I wish I could give blood, but I am not allowed because I get ill every single time I do it.

Though, is there much call for AB+ blood? :D
    Not really a big need for AB+. I have that type also. It's a rare blood type but AB+ is the universal recipient.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Just on the basis of what they look like the Comptia certs from back in 2001 when I got my A+ look way better than the ones they send out today. The one from 2001 looks like somthing you might actually want to put in a frame and hang in a home office but the Net+ cert they sent my for the 2009 exam looks like something I would stick in my drawer and forget about.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have my SANS plaques displayed because they're relatively rare, look nice, and cost a small fortune.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I remember the last thread on this lol. I would hang them up at home. It's like a nice mural of your career progress.

So do I. The thread turned into an arguement about which is better, having a BS or not lol And then it evolved into brick and mortal verse on line universities lol.
  • Options
    I had an internal debate about whether or not to display my Security+ cert, as I spent a bunch of time studying for it and was very proud of the score. In the end, I thought better of it, and voted nay on that and it will go with my A+ and Network+ in a drawer.

I work with folks who have their Masters who don't even have them displayed. I believe my boss has her degree in her office, but that's about it.

I remember years ago, folks would sign their name with MCSE, CCNA, blah blah blah....I always thought that was beyond pretentious. The only time that's cool is if you're an author of prep book or something. [Edit: OR he just signs his name with just CCIE...that cert is almost as good as a Ph.D...[ALMOST] ] I would be more inclined to be more accepting of a guy/gal hanging their certs on the wall than a guys including his name and the runoff of certs he has.

John Smith, A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE 4.0, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003, MCITP:EA 2008, CCNA, CCNP, etc., etc.
  • Options
    +1 Mine are all in a drawer. If or when I get to the point of my own office I may display my Degree and if I have any high end certs then maybe those. By high end I don't mean MCITP I mean anything which is relatively rare or prestigious.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    By high end I don't mean MCITP I mean anything which is relatively rare or prestigious.

The CCIE I've always considered to be that. I tip my hat to any and all who have earned that cert. No one can give that guy crap if he hangs his cert up on the wall....

He may even get the pass from me if he puts it in his signature (as long as it's just that one). (I'll edit my last post to reflect that).
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    [QUOTE=erpadmin;444899I remember years ago, folks would sign their name with MCSE, CCNA, blah blah blah....I always thought that was beyond pretentious. The only time that's cool is if you're an author of prep book or something. [Edit: OR he just signs his name with just CCIE...that cert is almost as good as a Ph.D...[ALMOST] ] I would be more inclined to be more accepting of a guy/gal hanging their certs on the wall than a guys including his name and the runoff of certs he has. [/QUOTE]

I intend to update my email signature with MCSE when I get it. I don't believe that MCSE quite cuts it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    I've got my mcsa and vcp up in my house, not at my work though. Theres a few office administrator bods around that proudly display any old training they have been on, manual handling, H&S you name it its up there, makes me chuckle!
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    For an email signature I'll say that an MCSE or an MCITP might be ok. It is something that will get seen a lot by your higher ups and by potential employers so I'm adding MCITP:EA to mine after I get it.